Soy milk?

Options
Does anyone have any thoughts on soy or almond milk? My husband and I enjoy regular milk, but unfortunately it has too much cholesterol and fat in it for what we are trying to accomplish with our lifestyle change. Just wondering is it worth the switch?

Replies

• stred321
    stred321 Posts: 48
    Options
    I use Alpro Soya Light- 77 cals for 350ml ( my daily allowance!)... I really like it!!
  • symphonika
    symphonika Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I've recently just switched to unsweetened almond milk. Only 45 calories a cup...I usually only drink milk in things ( cereal, shakes, recipes, etc) so the taste doesn't really effect me much...but I did try it straight up and didn't really care for it. Soy milk is pretty tasty though!
  • pjrisher
    pjrisher Posts: 152
    Options
    I'm not a big milk drinker but I've tried soy milk and I personally can't stand it. My housemates all love it, though. I've had and enjoyed coconut milk and almond milk, though. Thankfully there are a lot of options to try out there!
  • lalalalyndsey
    Options
    I personally love soy milk, but don't really like regular milk. This is one you are going to have to try on your own... everyone has different opinions! I've been hooked on silk vanilla light soy milk! It's really yummy and only 70 cals per 8 oz! Hope you love it as much as I do, b/c it definitely saves cals, cholesterol and fat! :D
  • sylouette98
    sylouette98 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I like Silk Unsweetened Almond milk...only 35 calories for 8 ounces. Yum!!!
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I like Silk Unsweetened Almond milk...only 35 calories for 8 ounces. Yum!!!

For the win!!!!
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Do you drink skim milk? it shouldn't have much of fat. 1 cup of skim milk has 0 fat and only 3 cholesterol, but contains 8g of protein. Soy milk is NOT good for male at all, and almond milk has no protein in it. I tried soy & almond milk and had to go back to skim milk for all the benefits.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Why don't just get fat free milk?
  • Lissajoy08
    Lissajoy08 Posts: 35
    Options
    I am actually lactose intolerant and all I drink is soy or almond milk... If you are use to milk, soy milk is quite a different taste... almond milk is a little more subtle change and not quite as a nutty flavor as soy, to me anyways.. Also, the flavored milks taste really good! :) I really like the chocolate soy milk...

Just try different ones until you find one you like. There is also Rice Milk, which I've never tried because my grocery store doesn't cary Rice milk.

My brand of choice is Silk! :)
  • cupajoe
    cupajoe Posts: 155
    Options
    My daughter and I neither one like milk and so we were on the search for a replacement. Skim milk was ok because it is not so "milky" tasting-but still don't like it. Soy milk was ok and I do buy it now and then. Almond milk was a keeper. I like the original almond milk on my cereal or just to drink or put in a smoothie...All of my kids like the vanilla or chocolate flavor.
  • heretic911
    heretic911 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I like almond or rice milk, also rice milk is great in recipes. Soy has a distinct taste that takes awhile to get used to for some:)

8876466.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    My 2cents. I drink Almond breeze, Organic soy milk, and 2%milk. Regular milk is good in moderation I believe it also contains higher protein than soy or almond milk does. Now I dont know the whole explanation behind it but my brother is a vegan and he says that soy milk is not good for Men. So really I suggest if your hubby is going to drop the regular milk he should go for almond milk. As for you I read soy is good for women but of course in moderation.

There Im done :smile:
  • jwerman
    jwerman Posts: 176
    Options
    Why don't just get fat free milk?
    Because as much as I would love to, my hubby refuses to drink any milk other than whole vitamin D. That's mostly why I'm looking for non-milk options...cuz skim milk just isn't gonna cut it! :)
  • heretic911
    heretic911 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My Mom has had whole milk for ever, will not drink skim milk, just got her to try rice milk (She gets plenty of protein so not an issue) and she actually likes it:) My husband won't drink skim milk either....it's tough for some to change

8876466.png
  • TexasGirl92
    TexasGirl92 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My husband and I like almond milk. I would be careful with soy products there is still debate but some men have problems with them. Here is a link to a Men' s Health article.

http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/soys-negative-effects
  • jwerman
    jwerman Posts: 176
    Options
    My husband and I like almond milk. I would be careful with soy products there is still debate but some men have problems with them. Here is a link to a Men' s Health article.

http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/soys-negative-effects
    Thanks! Definitely be checking this out!