healthy levels????

Options
winwin
winwin Posts: 134 Member
anybody know the healthy levels in all categories, even the ones not shown on our food page?
cholesterol, sodium, sugar etc.?
Thanks for your help.
Winwin

Replies

• winwin
    Options
    anybody know the healthy levels in all categories, even the ones not shown on our food page?
    cholesterol, sodium, sugar etc.?
    Thanks for your help.
    Winwin
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I got some info from a USDA site:
    Sodium less than 2,400 grams
    Fat 65
    Cholesterol 300
    carbs 300
    Fiber 25
    Protein 50
  • His_Kelly
    His_Kelly Posts: 248
    Options
    Usually it is good to try to stay under 2,500 mg of sodium/ day, or under 2,000 if you have high blood pressure.

Cholesterol should be kept at or below 300 mg/day, or under 200 mg/day for those with dyslipidemia (high cholesterol)

Sugar- can vary per person. Just remember that sugar is carb, so just keep your total carb in check and you should be good. Refined sugars, as always, are a no-no for the most part.

To find out how many grams of protein you need, take your weight in kg and multiply by .8 (there are 2.2 lbs in a kg)

Saturated fat should be less than 10% of the fat you eat.

Hopefully this helps! :flowerforyou:
  • winwin
    Options
    I thought my question was going to be gone before anyone came back with any answers. I really appreciate your time and effort. I am trying to talk my friend, who is always talking about losing weight and she also has border line cholesterol, to try this site for a week. I know that is all it takes to open your eyes to what we are really eating. I love this site so much! The support everyone has for each other is amazing!

Thank you again for responding and hopefully this information will help others of us on this site as well!

Winwin
  • greeneggsam
    Options
    Also, FYI, the site will recommend levels for you if you go to Food, Settings and add a column to your food diary. I'm not sure what guidelines they use, but it seems proportional to calorie limits when you scale-down the USDA guidelines BrenNew posted.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I thought my question was going to be gone before anyone came back with any answers. I really appreciate your time and effort. I am trying to talk my friend, who is always talking about losing weight and she also has border line cholesterol, to try this site for a week. I know that is all it takes to open your eyes to what we are really eating. I love this site so much! The support everyone has for each other is amazing!

Thank you again for responding and hopefully this information will help others of us on this site as well!

Winwin

I was the same way as you, in trying to get my best friend onto MFP too, but it took months and months before she FINALLY decided to give it a try. I've had lots of friends and co-workers join after seeing how great this site has been for me. Give your friend time, don't pressure her, but eventually, once she sees how great a job you're doing, she'll join, and then be wishing she'd done it alot sooner!