I dont like what i see when i do the plank :(

Options
I am 5'8 and quite ok with my weight so far 130lbs but I wanted more definition and thought maybe losing about 5-9 more pounds will do it. My belly seems flat when i stand up but when i started level 2 of the 30ds i noticed some really ugly sagging skin when i get in the plank position. This really bothers me as although i still want to do the plank, i kinda get the feeling that this position is not helping as its adding more gravity hence making the sag worse. I would ideally prefer other tummy workouts and when i get rid of the sag (if that is even possible) move on to the plank. I am really not sure what to do so all help will be appreciated

Replies

• MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    My tummy does the same, i only have a little bump when I'm standing but when I'm in plank all that is evenly distributed on my hips and what not moves to the front, it is actually helping a lor, it tightens those muscles to help pull in that fat. The best thing to do for belly fat is diet, even jillian says abs are all diet. I also recommend her 6 Week 6 Pack, it helps tighten it all up too
  • mizfrankie
    mizfrankie Posts: 100
    Options
    The plank will definitely help with any sagging - seriously . Gravity is not going to make much of a difference if you're in that position or standing up or whatever. Plank (when done correctly) works on your core muscles and butt and legs and back...everything. It is a great position for strengthening and toning. Don't worry about the gravity :) When you are doing it make sure your back is straight, your hands are under your shoulders, your butt is not sagging OR raised in the air, make sure you keep your muscles engaged - all of them! and then breathe. Don't forget to breathe.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    The plank won't affect you as much as you might think. It's a great way to tone and develop your abs.
  • nseuell
    nseuell Posts: 110
    Options
    I think the gravity is a non-issue since you are doing it for such a (relatively) short time - I do 30dayshred also, and know it feels long! However, I think that the plank is one of the best ways to actually work on that area and realize how to tighten those muscles as you are holding the plank. I totally know what you mean though! I hate that plank!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I also have the sag. It's discouraging but use the "don't look down" method :))
    The sag is just from extra skin, or stretched skin. Mine came after the birth of my twins. My belly was extremely stretched and now I have loose skin when I get down on all 4's whether it's doing plank or pushups etc. It's discouraging, but it could be worse. How often are you on all 4's, really? It's more important that your stomach is flat & not saggy when you're standing upright, or sitting, in clothing. That's when most people see you, right? Most people don't have the pleasure of seeing you on all 4's and the ones who do, probably aren't looking at that :)) LOL
  • erzille
    erzille Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this..I was feeling the same way!
  • MeganNP
    MeganNP Posts: 4
    Options
    Try Pilates. Pilates really works the core, and you will gain strength, balance and flexibility. Search for Pilates exercises on line or on Exercise on Demand (free) (if you have Time Warner Cable..if not, I am sure Satelite has a similiar channel)
  • dosboy_1
    dosboy_1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you had children? My wife has some sagging there as well, but it's stretched skin and there is nothing short of a tuck that will help. IF it's fat then you have to rev up your cardio to burn the fat layer off. Yes, diet is probably 80% of it but cardio is need for the rest.

Hope that helps!
  • TrevaNadreau
    TrevaNadreau Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Don't stop doing planks... aside from hanging leg lifts, they are the absolute best ab exercise you can do... strengthening your core will tone and tighten as well... it may not look pretty now, but give it time.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Sorry I had to giggle... the gravity from doing the plank is not going to make your sagging worse... sagging has to do with your skin's elasticity. I do all sorts of core moves... some of which are done standing up. You can google or go to bodybuilding.com/exercises for suggestions.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    the time you spend in the plank position is not going to contribute to the sagging skin....you could hold the position for weeks straight and "gravity" is not going to make the sag worse. it is one of the best core exercises because of all the muscles that must engage to do it. you just happen to be positioned so the skin is pointing down and it is more visible to you, when you look straight down at it. you will probably notice more sagging skin as you lose weight, your skin may take longer to snap back and catch up, but be prepared it may not entirely go back to being as tight as it once was. Skin is fragile and it's hard on it to go from being stretched to being more "empty" as you lose lbs......
  • newgal1
    newgal1 Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. It puts my mind to rest a bit. I guess i'll just not look at it when i do it and hopefully it will go away. I wish i knew someone who had results or improvements to spur me on
  • MrsRobertson1005
    Options
    search 30 day shred in the community deal, there are so many success stories on here it is insane!
  • MrsRobertson1005
    Options
    Most people don't have the pleasure of seeing you on all 4's and the ones who do, probably aren't looking at that :)) LOL

LOL so true
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I know that feeling. *relates* It's still a great exercise though. Maybe try air bikes though?
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    TRUST ME... Mine's worse. I'll take a picture maybe one day...
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Okay, I just took some pictures. Here. Just thank GOD you don't probably don't have it like this... And, if you do... I'm so sorry. :(

WARNING WARNING WARNING!!!!!!!! THIS IS PROBABLY THE GROSSEST THING YOU WILL EVER SEE IN YOUR ENTIRE LIFE.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm114/funkyspunky871/Photoon2011-06-28at1619.jpg

EVEN WORSE

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm114/funkyspunky871/Photoon2011-06-28at1618.jpg

ARE YOU NEAR A TOILET? YOU'LL PROBABLY PROJECTILE VOMIT EVERYWHERE.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm114/funkyspunky871/Photoon2011-06-28at1625.jpg
  • newgal1
    newgal1 Posts: 15
    Options
    Oh yep. Mine is very similar to yours. I really hope it can improve with exercise so I'll just keep going. The support here is great
  • NicoleMarie0409
    Options
    Don't feel bad - Mine does the same thing. Keep with it! :)
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Know what ya mean! Mine looks great standing up, but in that position, you can def tell I've had children!:wink: