Your local running store is probably full of it

Options
2»

Replies

• vick9180
    vick9180 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    My $.02 - there is NOTHING more useless than running shoe reviews. Just a tired ploy to sell magazines with a bunch of recycled stories (yes, I'm talking to your Runners World). Why on earth would I possibly care if: Dave, a mild over-pronator from Detroit says "they provide nice ride, but are little too forgiving and tight in the toe box?"

Oops...I didn't mean running shoe reviews specifically, I meant studies of the differences between conventional running shoes (ie. ones that address pronation, stability, etc,) and minimalist shoes...like published research. What works for some doesn't work for others, but understanding the research behind why one group believes that a minimalist shoe is better vs the other group who believes it's better to have conventional shoes and then using the facts from those studies to make your own decision for what type of shoe you want to try. If you're not into Runner's World, there are several runner bloggers out there who have linked some great research to their websites that you can just google.

But, in all actuality, for myself, I do like to read reviews of what others have said, especially if they are unbiased and can give a little negative feedback as well. I don't typically buy things like electronics without reading consumer reviews to see if their complaints are things I can live with or not. But to pick out a running shoe, I like to have something in mind to try on instead of wandering through aimlessly going "well this one is pretty so I'll try that."
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I ran in twelve different pairs at my running store and they taped me and we watched it after every run.

I was having knee and hip pain before going in.

They fitted me with the perfect shoe. I have no pain now, no blisters, etc.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is that YOU need to become the expert about what works for you and not just rely on the shoe store fitting.

This^ And the sales people at the running store maybe runners. But they're runners in their spare time. When they're at work they are SALES PEOPLE first.

I wear a 17 shoe. Both the local running stores were no help at all. I just go there to sign up for races.
  • mynameisnutz
    mynameisnutz Posts: 123
    Options
    I wear a 17 shoe. Both the local running stores were no help at all. I just go there to sign up for races.

WOW!