Quinoa for Lunch

Options
So I had quinoa today for the first time and reaaaaly like it. Does anyone out there have some easy lunch recipes? One that I could make the night before or cook in the microwave while at work? And, speaking of microwave, how well does Quinoa reheat?
Thanks in advance my fellow fitizens. :)

By the way, i can't eat high vitamin K foods, so salad is out of the question. I am on blood thinners.

Replies

• pammyedmunds
    pammyedmunds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I have this recipe and its super yummy!! Also if you make it with chicken broth it will be more flavorable!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/robins-quinoa-with-mushrooms-and-spinach/detail.aspx

my co-worker also adds left over chicken breast to this dish!

Enjoy!
  • frogmommy
    frogmommy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Quinoa reheats well. However, if you are adventurous, try these out cold

http://stpeters.patch.com/articles/quinoa-quinoa-quinoa
  • seeyouken
    seeyouken Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Quinoa actually is great in cold, summer-type salads. My fiancee and I like to have quinoa with avocado and tomatoes. Cook the quinoa according to the package and then refrigerate to cool. Then combine with chopped tomatoes and chopped avocado, any herbs and spices you like, and some balsamic vinegar. You can also add other vegetables like cucumbers or red onion. It is a versatile dish since it can be prepared in a variety of flavors.
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Oh, I should have mentioned, I can't eat anything heavy in Vitamin K, so that cuts out salads. I am on blood thinners.
  • CardiacNP
    CardiacNP Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    i also had some for lunch today too. Love it. I cooked mine last pm with low sodium chicken broth and 1 TBL spoon of soy sauce. Taste great and reheated well. Had baked Fish and sweet peas with it....MMMMM
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    i also had some for lunch today too. Love it. I cooked mine last pm with low sodium chicken broth and 1 TBL spoon of soy sauce. Taste great and reheated well. Had baked Fish and sweet peas with it....MMMMM
    Stealing this idea for tommorow. :):):)
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    Oh, I should have mentioned, I can't eat anything heavy in Vitamin K, so that cuts out salads. I am on blood thinners.

do you mean green salads? i use the term "salad" as anything that is a mixture of a number of ingredients... tomato salad, for example, doesn't have any greens in it at all; in fact, it's much like salsa.

or cucumber salad is tomato salad with cucumbers... i don't know which are high in vit k, but i'm guessing green salads. so people may use the term salad, but not mean leafy...

hth