Too much protein?

2»

Replies

• dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    You are not going to gain any extra weight from extra protein. Your muscles are going to use what protein they need and the rest will exit the body naturally, if you know what I mean. As far as I know protein cannot be turned into fat. The settings on MFP for protein are set a little low, so you can change the settings or not worry too much about it, as long as you are on track with your goals.

Thanks, Jeffpettis. That was my concern, gaining or not losing weight.
  • TJtastic
    TJtastic Posts: 97 Member
    I would like to know what you're eating to get so much protein. I'm trying to increase my protein.
    Can you share some of your high protein food ideas?
  • dafoots0911
    Thanks Timlord, at least I know I'm not getting too much. According to MFP, I'm over by 19 today and I haven't had dinner.
    I do think the MFP's protein guideline is too low. I do strength training so I agree, that amount over is not a big concern. I just didn't want it to compromise my weight loss goals.
  • dafoots0911
    I would like to know what you're eating to get so much protein. I'm trying to increase my protein.
    Can you share some of your high protein food ideas?

TJtastic, I have been following Tosca Reno's Eat clean diet except the protein shake that I have for breakfast or lunch. I think that's where it's coming from. There's 24 grams of protein in my shake. I also have beans, lentils, yogurt included in some of my meals. So if I have a bean and rice dish with meat, there's extra protein.
  • dafoots0911
    take your body weight, mine is 200, take in that many grams of protein in 6 meals....protein takes longer for the body to metabolize, thus you burn cals.....so, protein up, weight down....
    Taking that into account, I'm only getting half. Thanks I will not lower my protein. I may even increase it.
  • kristie778
    kristie778 Posts: 51
    I'm an RD (registered dietitian) and for healthy individuals, the recommendation is 0.8 - 1 grams per KILOGRAM (NOT pound!!) body weight for a healthy individual who is maintaining their weight. The recommendation for percent is 10-15% of total energy intake.

To find your weight in kilograms, divide your weight in pounds by 2.2. If you weigh 150 lbs, you would weigh 68 kg, and would thus need approximately 55 - 68 grams of protein.

Obviously, if you are doing serious weight training and really building muscle you can go up from this amount. Without knowing an individual's specific situation, it would be hard to say what the exact amount should be, but I think 0.8 - 1 gram per KG is a good starting point.

By the way, if a personal trainer gives you specific nutrition advice (such as a certain number of grams of protein..) he or she is operating outside his/her scope of practice. Obviously, general advice about how to eat healthy is fine, but I am currently studying to become a personal trainer through ACSM and have been told that specific nutrition advice is a big no-no for trainers.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Like I said, I am no "expert" but I know what has worked for me. There has not been one day since I started using MFP that my protein has not been in the red, and I have consistently lost at least a pound a week or more. Do a little research, and form your own opinion, but in the mean time I wouldn't worry to much about it because MFP has it set a little low I believe.
This discussion has been closed.