FInally learned what my dad speant a life-time trying to tea

Options
The other day I was talking to my friend, together we are losing weight for ourselves and a friends wedding in which we are both bridesmaids...

I asked her what she was having for lunch...
She told me it's all protein for 5 days then fruits and veggies for x # days (insert long complicated eating plan here)

I found myself telling her that she is working out and burning calories, that the best way to do it is eat a little less move a little more... limit your refined carbs, don't do anything extreme just eat normally!

I could almost hear my dad laughing at me from heaven...
He had speant YEARS telling me the exact same thing.. but I always knew better...
I wanted it faster, easier, without him being right, without feeling hunger... without losing control...

Now?
Now I finally want to get rid of the excess fat and move on with my life...

WIsh I had listened to dad earlier... but I guess I needed to get to this point in order to finally Get It Done!

Reading some of the posts here I remind myself of how desperatly I wanted it to be easier, faster, more drastic...

But no.
Eat less.
Move more.
Stay to the perimeter of the grocery store....

LOL
It really is that easy!

Replies

• fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Great advice!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    So true!! I met up with some friends for a happy hour a few weeks ago and a couple of them were all excited about my weight loss and dying to hear how I did it. Told them I started out with Weight Watchers then continued to track my food and exercise with this website. I even sent the link to both of them but I don't think either joined because it wasn't the quick fix they were truly hoping for. LOL!

Best of luck with your new outlook!!
  • beachbumdoug
    beachbumdoug Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    well said.. thanks!
  • gsterlingdiva02
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Brilliantly said
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I love that! What a great story.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    You are right--the advise is so simple, but we all have ignored it until a special point in our life where we say, "I want to be healthy and live a good long life."

Another simple choice that I never even thought about until Jan 2010: If your pants start getting tight, do not run out and buy larger pants. Just push away from the table and lose that 3-5 lbs, immediately. Such an easy fix--do why didn't I get it for the first 57 years of my life??? ;):drinker: (lots of water)
  • sweetjanet2k
    sweetjanet2k Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Sometimes Dads give the best advice.
  • sla0814
    sla0814 Posts: 240
    Options
    That's awesome. Isn't it funny how people can "hint at" or tell you how to live a healthy lifestyle but it takes ourselves to finally figure it out?? lol My dad has told me that (very nicely) my whole life and here I am, 25 years later FINALLY doing it!

Great post! God bless:)
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    So true!! I met up with some friends for a happy hour a few weeks ago and a couple of them were all excited about my weight loss and dying to hear how I did it. Told them I started out with Weight Watchers then continued to track my food and exercise with this website. I even sent the link to both of them but I don't think either joined because it wasn't the quick fix they were truly hoping for. LOL!

Sometimes (ok, alot of times) parents do know best!

I lost quite a bit of weight a few years ago and the same thing happened. People would ask how, i would say "I stopped eating junk and got off the couch" and they would give me the look of "thats it"
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options

I did the same...started with WW a year ago - lost almost 50 lbs - moved on to MFP for maintenance a couple of weeks ago. When I explain how I lost all the weight - counting points, etc. - they just move to another subject. Quite honestly, the year went by so fast & I cannot believe how fast the weight fell off. In addition to how great I felt by not overindulging anymore. I know my weight will stay off because I made the "Lifestyle" Change.

Good luck to all of you! Best wishes!
  • ElaKuz
    ElaKuz Posts: 49
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the positive feed back...

I think this may really be like falling in love, once you get it, you get it and you wonder how you ever thought you had it before...

It's made a huge difference interacting on a daily basis with someone who is where I once was... she is a constant reminder that quick fixes, excuses, and short cuts get you and keep you fat. Period.
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Amen to that.....God whispers.
  • dragonslayer67
    Options
    That is good advice....I just got my iphone and found this wonderful app, then joined and now here I am. I am a Dad and I have let myself go. However I didn't used to be this way. I got of the Army in 2000 and was in good shape, healthy weight...and now eleven years later I find myself 50 lbs over my max weight. It just snuck up on me (not really, I knew I was doing it)

That is great advice...move more, eat less, eat better (perimeter thing)...cause all the food that is good for you is there!

Good Luck everyone and see you all on the battlefield