salmon+carb=fat?

Options
so. i was wondering if anyone else out there has heard of this: when salmon fish is eaten with a carb, it's turned directly into fat?! was i just misinformed? i certainly love my fresh salmon! but i also like to make salmon fish sandwiches, and salmon spreads, and just eat it with rice or potatoes. but somewhere i read that, and i just have a hard time eating it with a carb. thanks so much my MFP peeps!!

Replies

• ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    that doesn't sound right! eating too much of anything does turn into fat though
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    just eat healthy. loose weight. dont worry about that crap. its bull****. theres a study to disprove everything now a-days.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Too many calories turn into fat. That's it. It's very simple. Everything else is just the fad of the week.... which will be replaced with some other BS fad next week.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Huh??? where did you get this from?

I've never heard this. I've considered salmon to be a healthy source of protein and omega-3s
    I'm hesistant to change my view on this unless I know the source of this.

Do you have a source on this?
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    You were misinformed. Each meal should contain a quality protein, carb, and fat. Salmon is definitely a quality protein. Brush it with olive oil and you have a quality fat. Add a vegetable, preferably a dark green one like spinach, kale, collards or brocolli and you have the perfect meal.
  • helbohn
    helbohn Posts: 44
    Options
    it was from the little black book that comes with the "six week body makeover" from michael thurmond. yup, i was suckered into it, and acutally lost 15 pounds the first three weeks!!! but HATED the limitations of the food portion. so i acutally gained it all back and than some. i'm a recovering yo you dieter. it's in there. yup, there it is in the "infinite menu planner" i quote, " These fish have a higher fat content than other fish, so use them sparingly. Never eat with a carbohydrate, hoever, as that combination causes your body to store it as fat!" so yah, that's why i'm having a hard time with it. however!! i believe moderation is THE key. i usually just eat my fish with a salad and fruit.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Throw out the book. It sucks. Measure and weigh your food, eat balanced meals, log your cals, work out. You'll be happier and will able to sustain a new eating lifestyle. All of the diet books are long-term unsustainable, which is why people gain it all back.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    "Some" of the more dogmatic low-carb advocates believe that eating carbs with fatty foods is a bad combination. Why? Here is their reasoning (using that term loosely):

1. carbs = insulin spike
    2. insulin spike = fat burning is gone, replaced with carb burning
    3. fat from salmon goes straight to your fat stores

Hogwash! Never mind the fact that protein also causes your insulin to spike....
  • helbohn
    helbohn Posts: 44
    Options
    Throw out the book. It sucks. Measure and weigh your food, eat balanced meals, log your cals, work out. You'll be happier and will able to sustain a new eating lifestyle. All of the diet books are long-term unsustainable, which is why people gain it all back.

haha that made me laugh!! yes. the book just sits on my shelf with the cookbooks. it has some good recipes in it. and information about metabolism and such. but i just eat what i want, in moderation, and JUST KEEP ON MOVING, and it's working out for me. i just needed to check in with other MFP peeps about my dillemma! lol thank you all!!! i will still eat my salmon, and get a little crazy and eat it with rice again. i'll just stay away from the pilot bread crackers!! hee hee
  • bkhorton
    bkhorton Posts: 8
    Options
    but helen, you know that EVERY good eskimo eats their fiss with pilot bread ;-)
  • beffy191
    beffy191 Posts: 71
    Options
    I think that book has it wrong and you should just continue to eat fish if you would like.

One thing I did find out about salmon recently though was it can actually have an adverse effect on some people. I'm not sure what it is but a lady I know ate salmon for a week and actually gained 1 and a half pounds that week and over the past 2 weeks, I have actually had salmon quite a few times and gained 3 lbs.

I'm not saying this is because salmon is a fatty thing, this just occurs in some body's but not all body's. Unless you have specifically seen an increase in your weight because of the salmon, keep eating it!