Sugar Goals Too Low?

Options
ATT949
ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
It seems like my sugar goals are "too low" - when I look back over my diary, I've almost never been able to stay below my goal of 26 grams of sugar (I just skimmed my diary and found 3 days out of 200).

When I total it up, I've hit my 26 grams if I have an apple and some veggies. Toss in anything other than salmon fins or vapors of steamed broccoli and I'm over the limit. :-)

Now that I'm done complaining, what are other folks using for their sugar goals?

Does 26 g for a 200 lb male seem a bit low?

Anyone know what MPF bases their recommendations on in this area?

I appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Replies

• MellyPfromVT
    MellyPfromVT Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I think it needs to differentiate between added sugar and the sugar that is naturally in fruits and veggies. I am ALWAYS over my sugar goal.
  • candessb
    candessb Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I had the same question. Mostly what I've heard from people was that fruit and vegetable sugars are okay. The refined sugars is what you should limit. I eat fruit and/or veggies at every meal and would be WAAAY over my sugar goal (which btw was 26 grams too). I was getting so frustrated that I stopped counting sugar. I don't see anything wrong with eating over 26 grams as long as it's a limited amount in one sitting and you're eating "good" sugars. :)
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Than you, both, for sharing that info. I haven't eaten raw sugar in…decades perhaps?

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who's been confused by this. :-)