Carbs before a 5k?

Options
How do you carb up before a race without busting your calorie limit for the day? I had a race last Saturday and I completely lost my steam about half way through the race, and I think it is because I didn't eat enough carbs before the race. I have another race this Saturday, and I would hate for that to happen again. Thanks!

Replies

• mynameisnutz
    mynameisnutz Posts: 123
    Options
    Not necessary. Just eat normally the day before, eat whatever you would for a normal run the morning of, and don't go out too fast.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I don't "carb up" before races, but I never limit my carbs, either.

I do like to carry seedless grapes with me when I run (race or for fun) to give myself a little extra something while I'm out. It's like taking a drink without spilling it on my shirt. :wink:
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Not necessary. Just eat normally the day before, eat whatever you would for a normal run the morning of, and don't go out too fast.

Exactly. Just eat normal and you should be fine: you don't have to eat any differently for a 5k than you would any other day. You aren't even exercising for a long enough period to thoroughly deplete your glycogen stores. WIthout knowing your running routine, you probably just tried to go out too fast.
  • dikent
    dikent Posts: 24
    Options
    I actually find it hard to eat before a 5K. I do much better with a small banana, my usual cup of joe and some water right before the race.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    A 5K isn't really a long enough race to "Carb Up" for. Eat normally and don't upset the balance in your diet. Changing your diet a day or so before a race can lead to stomach upset etc.

By the same token, I often choose to eat a light breakfast before a race to keep from feeling sluggish. Typically it's something like a banana and yogurt.

I would be concerned when looking at any race that lasts longer than an hour or two about "Carb-ing up". This would include a pasta dinner the day before (not late evening)
  • greentea73
    Options
    You might have been a little dehydrated or were running too fast. I eat peanut butter on a banana before a run with plenty of water. I do use Gu Chomps or Shot Blok Electrolyte Gels sometimes to get me through longer runs. Just one or two with water and I'm good. Maybe it's mental, but it works for me.
  • agent300
    agent300 Posts: 73
    Options
    I actually find it hard to eat before a 5K. I do much better with a small banana, my usual cup of joe and some water right before the race.

i agree. the whole carb loading thing is necessary for people running a marathon not 5k.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

Exactly. Just eat normal and you should be fine: you don't have to eat any differently for a 5k than you would any other day. You aren't even exercising for a long enough period to thoroughly deplete your glycogen stores. WIthout knowing your running routine, you probably just tried to go out too fast.

Exactly. Most people run faster in race and new runners are especially prone to it. I really doubt your problem was poor fueling; it was most likely just going too quickly.
  • lildevil968
    lildevil968 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I may have started out to fast, so I will slow it down a little and see if that works.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    No need to carb load for a 5k... a half marathon, or a full marathon yes. Just have a good breakfast with some time to digest prior. I find some muesli gives me a good bit of energy for the run.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Just one GU gel about 20 minutes before the race along with some water. About 140 calories. You don't need more than this, it's only a 5K. There is no way you will burn all of the glycogen in your blood and liver during that distance! I would skip breakfast for a 5K and just do the gel and maybe a cup of coffee for some caffeine. Good luck!