How to spice up plain brown rice without sodium?

Options
rainunrefined
rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
I'm maxed out on sodium for the day and plan on adding brown rice as a side to my tilapia and broccoli for dinner. My go-to rice used to be the pre-seasoned packets that have enough sodium to cause your head to spin.

I need a low sodium way to spice up my brown rice. I usually just cook it plain in a rice cooker, but it's so bland! I have a lot of dry herbs and some fresh. I have garlic, too. I don't have any sort of broth, but that would have sodium anyway. Any herb combos that you've used?? Any tips would be appreciated! Thank you!

Replies

• bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Try some garlic, dill, and lemon juice... yumm!
  • JustBreathe418
    JustBreathe418 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I've made this before with brown rice, minus the oil and salt and it tasted pretty good!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/03/chipotle-cilantro-lime-rice-4-pts.html
  • solrak1969
    solrak1969 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    garlic, red onion, cilantro, black pepper, and mrs dash.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    All of the above are really great choices. I also like ground cumin for a bit of a smoky flavor.
  • masonmst
    masonmst Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You can never go wrong with Mrs. Dash!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • willow3eb
    willow3eb Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Can try cooking it in low-sodium chicken stock instead of water, that might help.
  • pbolton16
    pbolton16 Posts: 87
    Options
    Every ones sound great to me!
  • RissaDean
    RissaDean Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Chopped peppers are yummy.

I've found that I don't taste most dried herbs when put in at the beginning of the rice cooker cycle. They make the house smell WONDERFUL and then my rice just tastes like...rice :( Fresh herbs do add more flavor, esp if you throw them in the last 5 min or so. I haven't played w/ adding dried things later in the cooking time.
  • OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RyeLite
    RyeLite Posts: 17
    Options
    Try Organic Jasmine Brown Rice. I like the taste better and smell better than the regular stuff, its sticky too like the chinese white rice from the resturant...
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I throw some spices into the rice while it's cooking, (paprika/curry) and I sub a half cup of water for chicken broth.
  • shdorsey
    shdorsey Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey today is my first day to join...Looking to lose 56 pounds...
  • SabineKarpova
    Options
    I add some frozen vegetables to my rice in its last few minutes of cooking and drizzle it with some reduced salt soy sauce once cooked - the vegetables really bulk out the rice and it tastes lovely!
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    i add paprika to mine
  • babydull
    babydull Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Lemon, lime, or chilli.
  • Housetroll
    Housetroll Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • kristinmkartist
    kristinmkartist Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    i had salsa
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I reccently cooked my rice in left over beer. It had a different flavor to it, probably would have really loved it if I really loved beer. Just a thought.