for those of you who burn calories like crazy...

Options
barbiex3
barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
What do you usually NET in a day? I usually burn over 700 a day running and doing HIIT body weight exercises a day. I've only been NETTING around 500 calories a day usually. I eat over 1200+ everyday, but I don't usually eat back even 50% of my exercise calories. I was just wondering what everyone else does for eating with working out?

How many calories do you eat on days when you burn around 800 calories?

Replies

• stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LaDee05
    LaDee05 Posts: 5
    Options
    I burn between 600 and 900 a workout, and net at my lowest about 500 and my highest about 1300. It really depends on the day. It never stays consitant
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Lately, I haven't been eating back calories from burns. Mostly because I am set to maintain @ 2300 calories a day, and its hard enough to eat that many. I am burning like 800-1500 calories a day, so I end up with a net of around 1400? ish?
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200-1400 calories per day and burn 800-1100 calories (depending on how I'm feeling). I don't count other activities like cleaning, house work, or other everyday chores. I don't specifically look at net calories. I just strive to get the best workout each and every day.
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of posts on this, but your NET calories should always be at least 1200. That's what I've heard, that's what I've read. That's what I believe. I eat enough calories back to be at least over 1200 net. Usually when i work out, I run and do some strength training so I'll burn around 600-700 in a day.
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    you should be netting 1200 at least. your body can be pushedinto starvation mode if you don't .
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    When I'm hitting cardio hard I will burn 600-900 calories in a workout (HRM) 3 times a week.
    On these days I make sure to ALWAYS net at least 1000 but aim for 1400 net.

I'm a believer in eating exercise cals. I end up weak and sickly if I eat too low for too long during intense exercise periods.
  • rgutie1
    rgutie1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    When I ride my bike I usually burn a little over a 1000 calories. I try not to eat back all of these calories but at the same time I don;t set them aside as untouchable.

On days when I want to treat myself those extra calories can be a safety net and on other days they can help increase my intake outtake gap.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    People are no longer actually answering her question. How about some answers based on your crazy exercise burns?

When I run long, my runs usually give me about 1000 or more calories burned. There is often some additional walking those days to add to it.

I usually end up netting about 1100-1350. However, the next few days, I am often rather hungry.
  • yvettewright
    Options
    I am new to understanding the eating back the calories you have burned from exercise concept. I am on a 1200 calorie menu plan and I have been curious as to whether my weight loss would be affected if I did or did not eat back the calories burned by exercise. Also, should I include everything I do non-exercise related such as chores, etc because I didn't think those small numbers would matter.

Appreciate any "seasoned" feedback.
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    You should be eating close to the calories goal that MFP give you each day including eating to replace most of the calories burned through exercise.
  • LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any of mine back normally. Calories in and calories out. Whats the point of burning 800 calories if your just going to eat them all back. That completely defeats the purpose.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    You should not be netting less than 1200 calories. The rule isn't "eat 1200 calories total and burn off half of that". Hellloooo starvation mode. Trust me, it happened to me last year and it was frustrating as he||!! Net should be minimum 1200. I try to at least net what my base calories are which is 1400.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I net around 1700. so If I burn 800 (like today) I eat around 2500. Eat them back.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I burn between 200 and 2000 calories daily. Actually I have a set training schedule that stays pretty consistent:

Monday: 600
    Tuesday: 200
    Wednesday: ~1000
    Thursday: 600
    Friday: 200
    Saturday: rest
    Sunday 1500-2000 and climbing with the length of my long runs...

I eat back every exercise calorie. I have MFP set to a 750 calorie deficit and that is plenty! I have been consistently losing weight and consistently gaining strength and endurance (ie: muscle!). I would never want to net 500 or less, not only would I be freaking starving all the time but I can practically guarantee my performance would suffer.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any of mine back normally. Calories in and calories out. Whats the point of burning 800 calories if your just going to eat them all back. That completely defeats the purpose.

I will not try to tell you eat your exercise calories, but I will tell you this. Exercise has other benefits other than calorie burn.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options

Because you already have a 500cal or so deficit. If you were doing it long hand, at home, you wouldn't eat them back.
  • tryinghard2012
    tryinghard2012 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Burn between 700-1100 depending on the resistance and intensity. I rarely eat any back as I work out at night and just do not have an appetite.
  • MissMichellemybelle
    MissMichellemybelle Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Ok stupid question...but fairly new to MFP. What does "bump" mean when posted in reply to a message?
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I am new to understanding the eating back the calories you have burned from exercise concept. I am on a 1200 calorie menu plan and I have been curious as to whether my weight loss would be affected if I did or did not eat back the calories burned by exercise. Also, should I include everything I do non-exercise related such as chores, etc because I didn't think those small numbers would matter.

You should be eating close to the calorie goal that MFP gives you each day including eating to replace most of the calories burned through exercise. If you do not eat enough calories your body will go into "starvation mode" and start to horde fat because it believes there is a famine. When this happens your fat lose will drastically slow down or even stop.