Slow weight loss?

Options
Is 5 lbs in almost 4 weeks a low amount to lose? I feel like I'm moving like a snail. I know I didn't put it on quickly BUT this is so discouraging. Sigh.

I've decided that instead of 3 days of 60 minutes of exercise, I'm going to exercise at least 20-30 minutes EVERY day. I just bought some 10 lb weights to start strength training.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    That is about the rate I lose weight. It does feel slow especially reading all the amazingly quick losses folks post here. Just rest assured you are doing this in a healthy manner, your body is becoming stronger and better. :)

I like your more often exercise idea. Maybe you can even up it to 40 min 6 days a week someday! That is a personal goal of mine, for now I am focusing on 25 mins 6 days a week.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,223 Member
    Options
    You are averaging a little over 1 pound a week. Is that slow? Well it may be, but frankly slow it better than no change, and it is also better than fast. Fast weight loss often includes the loss of a lot of muscle as well. Open your food diary and we may be able to help you more.
  • siobherz
    siobherz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    that's a really good rate, so many people struggle to lose even one pound despite doing everything right. it can be frustrating but it just takes patience and pride in the fact that you are losing weight steadily, healthily, and for good. good luck and keep it up :D x ps yeah strength training is awesome, i didnt lose anything in 7months even tho i did sooo much cardio, i added weights and have lost 3 in the last few weeks :p x
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. It seems to be coming off sooo slowly! I know it's not going to just disappear over night (It sure didn't appear that quick haha) but I know how frustrating it is to be working hard and not seeing a difference.
    Don't give up though!! You can do it!!
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    r u eating all your calories? are you drinking enough water (1/2 your body weight in ounces a day)? you might also be gaining muscle, and losing inches--do u take measurements?

5 pounds in 4 weeks is a good amount!! some people might have higher numbers, but that doesnt mean anything, because everyone is different.
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Some people tend to lose quicker - while others dont. I think it roots to how people's metabolism works. I am a strong believer that there are more 'fuel efficient' people out there. Some people can eat 3000cals a day and notgain a pound where for others it feel like if you even sniff a chocolate bar you've gained 10.

Stick to the fact YOU ARE LOSING.

It can be frustrating - especially watching other people blow away the pounds. Just eat right and work hard and in the longrun it will all pay off.
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Seems like a good rate to me. I usually average 1-2 lbs per week. I highly recommend strength training, it will rev up your metabolism and burn calories for a longer period of time. :flowerforyou:
  • Kattie1
    Kattie1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hang in there slow and steady is the key.
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    Go lift 5 lbs.....then give yourself a big pat on the back for having lost that much weight. I'm losing at a rate of about 1 lb a week. But I'm also not thinking of this as a diet either. For me it's a lifestyle change. I've lost a lot of weight much faster many, many times in the past....and I've always gained it all back plus even more. Slow and steady weight loss is a good thing.
  • LeeAllison
    Options
    1 pound a week is the ideal amount to lose. Usually doing it this way means you will keep it off. You are doing an amazing job..keep up the good work!!!
  • kimhart2011
    kimhart2011 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    my weight is also coming off very slow. So, I joined my fitness pal. What do you mean eat your exercise calories?
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    they mean the calories you burn exercising, you should eat most of them back. It sounds backwards, but it can help you lose more weight.
  • kimhart2011
    kimhart2011 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • heather0416
    heather0416 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    i was actually told by my doc that 1lb a week is good.. I lose about 3-4lbs a month.. give or take. I work out 30-60min a day. I usually take one day off. Sometimes it gets frustrating when i dont lose the weight as fast as I want, just remember.. it takes time. Dont give up! You can do it! Good luck!
  • jean1058
    jean1058 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. It really helps to know there are others out there blazing the trail before me!

Thanks for all the support. It really helps!

Jean
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    1 pound a week is a good, healthy rate to lose.

And you should maybe have 1 day off exercise a week, so your body can rest.
  • sequoialea
    sequoialea Posts: 26
    Options
    I wondered about this myself. I am happy to lose 1-2 pounds a week but my boyfriend watches Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition (not a bad show by the way) and thinks I could be losing a pound a day. I keep telling him that it is unrealistic. Those people have a lot more to lose, they work out 5 hours a day, and they have a personal trainer living with them for 3 months. I am motivated and inspired by there success but I am also realistic about the progress. Anyway, my best understanding is that 1-2 pounds a week is fabulous progress and something you can be proud of.