What is the best scale to use @ home?

pussycat626
pussycat626 Posts: 129 Member
edited September 29 in Fitness and Exercise
I used to have a digital scale but it stopped working so I switched to those old needle ones. But of course its new. I got it at Wal Mart for like $10 But I step on it and it says one thing and I'm like WOWZA!!!! How did I lose so much so fast its like 5-10 lbs then I step on it again and its back to the usual numbers : / Feeling discouraged because I don't know what I really am. And thinking maybe I'm standing on it weird but I stand on it like I would any other scale.

Replies

• officiallymrswhite
    officiallymrswhite Posts: 423 Member
    i bought a digital one because I like being able to read to the next decimal place. I also think they are easier to read than the needle. I too get discouraged because my scale at home says one thing and the one at the doctor's says another. I just say go by the same scale as far as how many pounds you're losing. And weigh yourself the same time each day. Your weight fluctuates throughout the day.
  • Dornroschen
    Dornroschen Posts: 178 Member
    *Sigh* I am so in this same boat. I'm so frustrated by the fact that my scale reads anywhere within a 5 lb range within seconds. And I'm not standing weird, I'm not weighing myself on carpet, I'm not weighing myself after a large meal. It's ridiculous and soooo frustrating. I've been searching forums and amazon for an answer. Basically, the eatsmart series gets RAVE reviews on Amazon for consistency and quality, however most of those reviews have been changed specifically because the company will contact anyone with a 1-star rating and send them a new scale or some sort of "we're sorry for your experience" bribe. It seems to me like all their awesome ratings are for their customer service as opposed to the quality of their product. Maybe I'm wrong...it just seems a bit off to me.

If you find something, please share with me because I'm about to throw my weight watchers scale I bought a year ago out the window along with the mechanical scale.
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    I have a Weight Watchers scale. It was pricey, but it's good. Measures your pounds of fat and percentage of fat. Also sets a goal for you and tells you how far away from it you are. Gives you your BMI as well. It can hold up to 4 people's info, so the other people in your family can use it for the extra info, too.
  • MrsGrace
    MrsGrace Posts: 13
    Whatever you use, use it consistently. Don't cheat yourself and weigh on numerous other scales. It'll only lead to frustration. Invest in a better scale. Better yet, get a tape measure too and do hip, thighs, arm, core, chest, calves. Re-measure once a month to check your physical gains. Sometimes you gain muscle, lose weight but the scale doesn't change.
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    I have a digital one. Really like it. It has The Biggest Loser logo on it. Think its from Target.
  • MrsGrace
    MrsGrace Posts: 13
    I have a Weight Watchers scale. It was pricey, but it's good. Measures your pounds of fat and percentage of fat. Also sets a goal for you and tells you how far away from it you are. Gives you your BMI as well. It can hold up to 4 people's info, so the other people in your family can use it for the extra info, too.

Where did you get it? At a store or at a WW meeting? :) I want one!
  • Dornroschen
    I too get discouraged because my scale at home says one thing and the one at the doctor's says another. I just say go by the same scale as far as how many pounds you're losing. And weigh yourself the same time each day. Your weight fluctuates throughout the day.

For me it's not the fact that weight fluctuates throughout the day - I get that. A scale should not fluctuate readings by a tremendous amount within SECONDS, our bodies don't change that quickly. The other thing is, it's hard to feel confident that you're losing at all when you can't get a consistent reading.
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    The most important thing is not the scale itself, the most important is to weight yourself at the same time each day. I usually do it first thing in the morning before any water or meals.
    Another thing you shouldn't do if you get discouraged easily is to weigh yourself every day, do it on a weekly basis... your weight varies throughout the week, for instance last week I had 2 days of being over 500 calories under my goal but my weight remained the same.

In regards to the scale I use a Homedics body analyzer that is pretty cool as it gives you BMI, BMR, Body Fat, Muscle Mass and Water Levels. Obviously this is digital and its a nice gadget and pretty accurate calculating BMR & BMI at least which is handy to have.

Hope it helps
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    I too get discouraged because my scale at home says one thing and the one at the doctor's says another. I just say go by the same scale as far as how many pounds you're losing. And weigh yourself the same time each day. Your weight fluctuates throughout the day.

For me it's not the fact that weight fluctuates throughout the day - I get that. A scale should not fluctuate readings by a tremendous amount within SECONDS, our bodies don't change that quickly. The other thing is, it's hard to feel confident that you're losing at all when you can't get a consistent reading.

Thre must be something wrong with the scale then if it varies that much within seconds.
  • Dornroschen
    The most important thing is not the scale itself, the most important is to weight yourself at the same time each day. I usually do it first thing in the morning before any water or meals.
    Another thing you shouldn't do if you get discouraged easily is to weigh yourself every day, do it on a weekly basis... your weight varies throughout the week, for instance last week I had 2 days of being over 500 calories under my goal but my weight remained the same.

In regards to the scale I use a Homedics body analyzer that is pretty cool as it gives you BMI, BMR, Body Fat, Muscle Mass and Water Levels. Obviously this is digital and its a nice gadget and pretty accurate calculating BMR & BMI at least which is handy to have.

Hope it helps

When you weigh-in once a week is your weight consistent with your goals? Do you weigh yourself more than once in a row on weigh-in day just to be sure of the weight you're reporting? If so, is it consistent when you immediately get back on the scale?
  • Dornroschen

Thre must be something wrong with the scale then if it varies that much within seconds.

Exactly, but I hear this complaint a lot with various other scales, too - hence why I'm concerned with and questioning the consistency of a suggested scale before I buy it. I don't need bells and whistles. I just need to feel confident that when I step on the scale, the weight I see is fairly consistent with my actual weight - and most importantly representative of my weight loss. As it stands now, I step on the scale like a dozen times and take an average and hope that's close to my actual weight.
  • i use digital. nothing special the only thing is you gotta change the battery every so often because when the battery is low is when it gives you way out readings
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member

Where did you get it? At a store or at a WW meeting? :) I want one!
    Got it from a catalog..I bet you can find them online (probably cheaper, too).
This discussion has been closed.