junk calories

Options
Just wanted some opinions on this. I have been saving calories, or adding exercise calories for treats (mostly wine or sweets). I know it is okay to allow yourself a treat. I am just scared that the type of calories I am eating may impead my weight loss.
I do eat relatively healthy otherwise (plenty of veg and fruit, lean meats and good carbs). I stay within my cals 90% of the time.

I just don't want to sabbotage my progress. In the past when I have lost a little, I get lax on my diet and gain it all back.

What do you think?

Replies

• mamakitty
    mamakitty Posts: 249
    Options
    Just wanted some opinions on this. I have been saving calories, or adding exercise calories for treats (mostly wine or sweets). I know it is okay to allow yourself a treat. I am just scared that the type of calories I am eating may impead my weight loss.
    I do eat relatively healthy otherwise (plenty of veg and fruit, lean meats and good carbs). I stay within my cals 90% of the time.

I just don't want to sabbotage my progress. In the past when I have lost a little, I get lax on my diet and gain it all back.

What do you think?
  • LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I think it's okay. As long as it is in moderation.

If you save 300 cal for a small dessert and glass of wine... no prob

if you are neglecting to eat nutritious food and exercising like crazy so that you can save 800 cal for a decadent dessert... yes problem (unless it's a special event, anniversary, wedding, etc.. )

I think it's important to meet all of your nutritional needs. It sounds like you're doing that with your meats/veggies etc.

if it starts to feel like punishment, you'll never succeed. So I think it's healthy to reward yourself occasionally with the "treat" you desire.
  • greeneggsam
    Options
    I think it's okay. As long as it is in moderation.

If you save 300 cal for a small dessert and glass of wine... no prob

if you are neglecting to eat nutritious food and exercising like crazy so that you can save 800 cal for a decadent dessert... yes problem (unless it's a special event, anniversary, wedding, etc.. )

I think it's important to meet all of your nutritional needs. It sounds like you're doing that with your meats/veggies etc.

if it starts to feel like punishment, you'll never succeed. So I think it's healthy to reward yourself occasionally with the "treat" you desire.

I agree. I bought a great bottle of wine and I've been "budgeting" appropriately for it. In my opinion, if you feel healthy, you are doing fine. If you feel sluggish and malnourished, you probably are.
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    i suppose on top of this, i was wondering how often do you people have cheats day/ meals? once a week, once every two weeks?
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    i suppose on top of this, i was wondering how often do you people have cheats day/ meals? once a week, once every two weeks?

I have a free day once a week. I've lost 33 pounds. You could say I would lose more if I didn't do the cheating, but I can also say I don't hit very many plateaus.

I think it is fine to save calories for junk, as long as you make sure your body is getting enough nutrients to fuel itself and be healthy.
  • jukramer
    jukramer Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    When you have free days, do you still log your food? Just wondering - I just started this!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I do. This way I am accountable to myself. I got to the point I didnt want a free day, when I saw the sodium and fat levels. That was when I got serious.

OF course, I do hit plateaus, then I hit the local diner for burger and fries!!
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    When you have free days, do you still log your food? Just wondering - I just started this!

I don't. But I do make sure to be good all week long. The I eat what ever I want on Saturday. I fugure it takes 3500 Extra calories to make me Truely gain a pound of fat. So if 6 days a week I deflect 700 calories that's 4200 calories a week and then if on one day I eat an extra 1000 calories I will still lose a little under a pound a week. Now the day after my free day I usually am a little more, but that is from retaining extra water from all the sodium. 2 days after I'm back to normal
  • Kylie30
    Kylie30 Posts: 16
    Options
    Once a week, a treat is good. It tells your body that it is not in starvation mode. As long as you keep it to once a week i think its fine. Deprivation is not the key.