"It's too hard to eat exercise calories back"

Options

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    And one more thing...my food gets BORING. :tongue: Some days I just don't want to eat what I have.
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    For me, calories aren't the hard part. It's eating them back and not going over my carb, fat, sodium and sugar for the day.
    Have you thought about not worrying about\counting "good fat" like omega 3 etc?
    Because that is beneficial to your blood triglycerides and if you are under on calories the extra calories in fat is a good thing.
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I agree!!! I've found myself in the middle of my cardio just thinking about what I'm "earning" calorie-wise and what all I'm gonna eat! LOL I've NEVER had a problem eating mine back. If I find I have a lot left over at the end of the day... a couple of spoons of peanut butter will fix that! ;)
  • NikkiTaber
    NikkiTaber Posts: 190
    Options
    For me, calories aren't the hard part. It's eating them back and not going over my carb, fat, sodium and sugar for the day.
    Have you thought about not worrying about\counting "good fat" like omega 3 etc?
    Because that is beneficial to your blood triglycerides and if you are under on calories the extra calories in fat is a good thing.

I don't worry about the good fats too much. Sometimes seeing the fat numbers go into the red zone from my raw almonds or whatever gets a little disconcerting though.
  • nascent
    nascent Posts: 28
    Options
    I definitely see your point -- obviously over-eating was not the problem almost all of us had when we came here! -- but even as a relatively big guy who has no problem eating tasty foods I've found it hard to eat burned calories. It may be that MFP over-estimates the burned calories, but when it says I burned thousands of calories because I went for a bike ride or mowed the lawn, I don't feel like eating another big meal just to make up for it. Maybe a bunch of gatorade and a snack. My normal daily goal is much higher than 1200 though (1800-2000), which I guess is most of what a 1200 cal diet would be eating back anyway.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Maybe their stomachs have shrank? That DOES tend to happen with weight loss.

Or maybe they have a hard time eating more HEALTHY calories.

Sure, it's easy to eat back your 300 calorie burn by grabbing a twix, but some people have learned to care about the nutritional value of their food.

Don't judge what you don't know.
  • LimeyTart
    LimeyTart Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I am one of those people that you find so irritating in this post.

I'll explain to you why I have trouble getting all my workout calories in.

1. I no longer eat the way I used to and no longer find that eating copious amount of food is easy for me. If I overeat, even with calories to spare, I feel bloated and tired.
    2. I easily burn 600-1000 calories per workout 6 days a week and I do not eat pasta, potatoes, breads, nor do I eat any processed junk foods. Eating 600 calories in quality healthy foods requires a lot of volume for me that I am not interested in.
    3. I have tons of energy and feel amazing without eating my exercise calories back. I do not get hungry nor do I feel lethargic.
    4. I am maintaining a 2lb per week loss and have been for two straight months without eating them back in full.

I hope that makes sense to you now...

YES! All of this, but especially #2. I'm certainly not going to eat when I'm not hungry just to eat back my exercise cals.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Certain amounts of intensive or endurance exercise is known to shut off appetite.

Some people's metabolism will slow down after eating so few calories.

I know you don't believe it, but there are sometimes reasons for things we don't understand.

Sometimes the person is starting on an ED.

But I know for myself, especially when I run long, it is a good while before I am hungry afterward... and at that point, it is really hard to scarf down all of the calories I have left.

And I'm a believer in eating exercise calories. I don't have an ED and I don't want to lose weight.

Sometimes it helps to ask why instead of judge.

This might be my favorite. post. ever.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I agree!!! I've found myself in the middle of my cardio just thinking about what I'm "earning" calorie-wise and what all I'm gonna eat! LOL I've NEVER had a problem eating mine back. If I find I have a lot left over at the end of the day... a couple of spoons of peanut butter will fix that! ;)

i love your honesty! I completely agree about the peanut putter too!! =]
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    And you actually lost weight by eating more than you did before? I find that so hard to understand... I mean, thermodynamics and that, if you don't get enough energy, your body HAS to use your fat stores. How can you get fat by undereating?

Yes, I've lost 14 pounds in like 42 days on MFP by eating more. :smile: You can get fat by undereating because you're body is basically in limbo. It's holding onto the calories you put in, and since the metabolism is slowed down, it's storing instead of burning.

In the past I've had an eating disorder where I really did get down to a low weight and my body was burning fat and muscle stores. At that point I was eating basically no carbs, mostly greens and fruit and that's it! I was getting 200-800 cals per day (and sometimes fasting too) and I lost a lot of weight! But that was EXTREME calorie restriction + lots of exercise. When I became overweight, it was because I was hovering around 800-1100 calories per day, which for my body made me gain weight unlike the extreme calorie restriction.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't want to eat enough peanut butter to take care of a 1000-1500 calorie deficit. I try to make them up best I can, I do. But after awhile, eating more really just makes me feel sick. Sometimes, I can make great headway. Other times, no.

And, for the record, I have never been overweight, nor underweight in my adult years. My body seems to get along just fine.

The small deficits, 300-500 calories, I have no problem eating. It's just my long run,

My metabolism is fast, so my maintenance calories are 1720. On a short workout, I'm eating 2000 calories. On a long workout day, I can burn 1000-1500. I'm 5'2" and about 112. Seriously, my body is not ready yet to efficiently process over 3000 calories for one day. It's just not.
  • TwinMom12409
    Options
    True dat.

I've had days where I'm just not hungry, but most of the time I have to hold myself back from eating my young. I don't think they are in the database anyways.

lmao! That was just funny. And... so you know... there is not a listing for "young". I looked yesterday when I was on a MAJOR eat-a-thon. =)
  • musica814
    musica814 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Kind of ironic that you had just posted a topic in another thread asking for advice on how everyone else eats back their exercise calories on high calorie burn days...

On another note, I didn't "get fat" by overeating. I was inactive, and I didn't eat healthy. At all. I would starve myself all day and then have 2 or 3 slices of pizza for dinner. Or I'd simply eat unhealthy foods in moderate portions for all three meals. That's hardly overeating. It's a poor college students diet. I never gorged myself. Now that I'm eating healthier, I occasionally have days where it is hard to eat 1260 calories. That's my business, it's really nobody else's. And if you have a problem with it...well, that's why my food diary is private :tongue:
  • sunrise84
    sunrise84 Posts: 18
    Options
    Honestly, I wasn't aware I would be able to eat more when I walk. I mean, it seems like a "duh" moment since I've been doing this for a month, but at the beginning it was like WHAT? Eat MORE?

If I'm not hungry after exercising, I'm not going to eat. It kinda makes me feel like I'm cheating by associating exercise with more calories, and then eating, even though I know I have to have at least 1,200. As long as I get there, I'm alright.
  • barbiex3
    Options
    Hmmm. Maybe their stomachs have shrank? That DOES tend to happen with weight loss.

Or maybe they have a hard time eating more HEALTHY calories.

Sure, it's easy to eat back your 300 calorie burn by grabbing a twix, but some people have learned to care about the nutritional value of their food.

Don't judge what you don't know.

i'm not judging. I just find it annoying that's all =] !
  • barbiex3
    Options
    I honestly don't want to eat enough peanut butter to take care of a 1000-1500 calorie deficit. I try to make them up best I can, I do. But after awhile, eating more really just makes me feel sick. Sometimes, I can make great headway. Other times, no.

And, for the record, I have never been overweight, nor underweight in my adult years. My body seems to get along just fine.

The small deficits, 300-500 calories, I have no problem eating. It's just my long run,

My metabolism is fast, so my maintenance calories are 1720. On a short workout, I'm eating 2000 calories. On a long workout day, I can burn 1000-1500. I'm 5'2" and about 112. Seriously, my body is not ready yet to efficiently process over 3000 calories for one day. It's just not.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,403803,00.html

michael phelp's body can handle 12,000 a day, so i think you will be alright =]
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Seriously, my body is not ready yet to efficiently process over 3000 calories for one day. It's just not.
    That's totally different though to the people who are finding it hard to eat 1200 calories total (not net). It's when I see that I think... "huh?"
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options

You're comparing me to a MALE olympic athlete. I'm honored, really, I am... but there is no comparison.
  • musica814
    musica814 Posts: 301 Member
    Options

You're comparing me to a MALE olympic athlete. I'm honored, really, I am... but there is no comparison.

Hahahaha....wow.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

*facepalm*