for those who absolutely CANNOT use a HRM :(

Options
sarah307
sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
Hey, I know..another HRM post... sorry! :) LOL.

If you have been following me for a few weeks or are my friend on here, you might know that I have a heart condition and many other health problems.. which basically means I can't use a HRM :( ...because even the most accurate ones don't really estimate my calories burned because my HR is so high just rest.. I'm not really "in my zone" when I'm sitting on the couch, haha.

So FOR THOSE WHO CAN'T USE HRM -
how do you log things? I have just been using MFP numbers and it's been fine, but just wondering if there was anyone else out there who has had a similar situation - where you want a HRM so badly, but can't get it due to a health/heart condition. OR anything other information about your experiences not being able to get/use a HRM.

THANKS EVERYONE :)

Replies

• withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Bodybugg/ body media might be a good alternative!
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    i bet you you searched the internet you could probably find formulas to figure out your target from your resting,
    and proably even to figure calories from that.

ofcourse you would have to be good at math , or atleast tolerate its existence
  • davidrt
    davidrt Posts: 162
    Options
    i dont use one, if my left arm starts hurting it might be time to slow down lol, if what you are doing is working for you keep with it
  • davidrt
    davidrt Posts: 162
    Options
    i dont use one, if my left arm starts hurting it might be time to slow down lol, if what you are doing is working for you keep with it
  • sarah307
    Options
    totally NOT a math person..

I'll research bodybugg ?!
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    I get by fine without it. I take what this site says. I was going to get one, but that's a lot of money for an ugly watch that I don't even understand how to use. I spend my money where it belongs, on proper healthy food and smaller clothes. I did break down and buy a scale, but the 50 cent tape measure is still my best friend.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Bodybugg/ body media don't use heart rate to calculate calorie expenditure, so yeah. The one downside that I know of is that they're not so great for cycling. You wear it on your arm, and the movement of your arms is a part of their calculation... Since your arm doesn't move while cycling, it will significantly underestimate your calorie burn for cycling.

Higher end HRMs that let you input your own max HR and VO2max also might work?
  • sarah307
    Options
    Yeah, I guess I even think about cycling!

But yeah, I can't use any kind of HRM because my HR isn't normal. But oh well! I am currently trying to stray from my scale and only use measurements :) so maybe I just want somethings else to gauge my progress :)

I just ate estimations on calories burned!! But, I guess it's working okay for now :) LOL.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Don't stress about - I'd suggest using the MFP estimates and see how you go over the next month or so with eating according to these numbers. If you find you aren't losing weight or are losing too fast then you can tweak the numbers to eat more or less of your cals.
    I don't own an HRM - while I think it would be fun to have, you can certainly lose weight without one - I have (37 pounds!)
    I use either MFP estimates or the calories from Runkeeper, whichever is lower. I also found some info on line about how to manually calculate calories burnt from running but this involved a fair bit of maths. I set this up in a spreadsheet and found that it tends to estimate a little higher than MFP.
  • sarah307
    Options
    Don't stress about - I'd suggest using the MFP estimates and see how you go over the next month or so with eating according to these numbers. If you find you aren't losing weight or are losing too fast then you can tweak the numbers to eat more or less of your cals.
    I don't own an HRM - while I think it would be fun to have, you can certainly lose weight without one - I have (37 pounds!)
    I use either MFP estimates or the calories from Runkeeper, whichever is lower. I also found some info on line about how to manually calculate calories burnt from running but this involved a fair bit of maths. I set this up in a spreadsheet and found that it tends to estimate a little higher than MFP.

Thanks! this helps !
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    And I forgot to say... even an HRM is only giving you an estimate anyway. It's going to be a better estimate because it uses your actual heartrate, but everything we enter - food and exercise - is only ever an estimate! Don't sweat it.
  • sarah307
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^ agreed! okay, thanks for reminding me, pahaha!!