How does MILK have sugar and sodium in it?

Options
Wynnie
Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
I went from whole down to 2% and have finally gone down to fat free skim, but just a CUP of that still uses up a full third of my "sugar" allowance every day. How does milk have sugar and sodium in it? Are they added?

Replies

• Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I went from whole down to 2% and have finally gone down to fat free skim, but just a CUP of that still uses up a full third of my "sugar" allowance every day. How does milk have sugar and sodium in it? Are they added?
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Well milk will have whatever the diet of the animal contains... like like breast milk in humans. Sugar and sodium are not bad, they are neccessary nutrients, you just don't need them in excessive amounts.
  • julwarner29
    julwarner29 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    yes, milk has sugar...but it's like eating fruit - some sugars are better for us than others.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Milk contains lactose, which is a disaccharide (complex sugar) made from glucose and galactose. It doesn't have much of an effect on blood sugar. It also contains salt, which is an electrolyte, and we NEED those. This is a 'perfect' food...it contains fat, protein, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, water, and electrolytes--everything you need to feed a growing mammal!