My HRM sucks...

Options
dian1227
dian1227 Posts: 122 Member
I know its not estimating calories correclty. There's no way I job at 4.0 mph and walk at 3.5 mph for 45 minutes and only burn 138 calories.

What to do?

Replies

• FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    been there done that , just ordered a better one
  • mssugarca
    mssugarca Posts: 75
    Options
    I dunno I have the opposite problem I think mine over calculates my calories...so I dunno what to do about that....just keep working out
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I know its not estimating calories correclty. There's no way I job at 4.0 mph and walk at 3.5 mph for 45 minutes and only burn 138 calories.

What to do?

Check that your personal data is inserted correctly on your HRM. Values for age, weight, height, etc should be correct to reflect your personal profile.
    If your HRM doesn't allow you to insert values for VO2Max, HR Rest & HR Max however you won't have a accurate measure of calories burned. The above parameters are only available on the top of the range HRM's at the moment that are very expensive.
    Although not 100% accurate it should give you a pretty approximate figure, you can then use the calorie burn counter on the following website to verify the data.

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

Regards.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    fastbelly which ones do that?
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options

I have a Polar ft60 and it does that. :)
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options

Mostly the top of the range ones, the FT60 and RS800CX from Polar for instance, the Suunto T6 I think also does that and Garmin also has a couple of models that allow you to input your VO2Max and HR settings but not sure which ones.