How do you keep friends from being fattening?

Options
I'm starting to dread the fact that every time I eat out with friends for a meal, I go over my daily calories - and usually quite a lot. I joked with them last time that they were fattening! When I eat at home, I do pretty good.

What if, when I know I'm having dinner out with friends, I eat nothing else the rest of the day? That might help keep me from going over?

What do some of you do at "fattening social events".

Replies

• Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to dread the fact that every time I eat out with friends for a meal, I go over my daily calories - and usually quite a lot. I joked with them last time that they were fattening! When I eat at home, I do pretty good.

What if, when I know I'm having dinner out with friends, I eat nothing else the rest of the day? That might help keep me from going over?

What do some of you do at "fattening social events".
  • JennyGetsFit
    JennyGetsFit Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I would not skip meals. One day of bad eating won't wreck the progress, but eating one meal a day would make me overeat next day. I don't think that it is good for your metabolism, either.

After all, consider that your cheat meal, and move on!

Hope this helps.
    Love,
    Jenny
  • racoon1
    racoon1 Posts: 78
    Options
    Skipping meals is not healthy as it slows down your metabolism and you end up gaining more weight. dieting isn't something we do to loose weight every once in a while but its a way of life. We all need to make wise choices in all situations whether we are at home or in a social setting. To rev up your metabolism eat small meals or healthy snacks throughout the day ( 5-6 times) maybe have a big glass of water and an apple or something before you go to the restaurant with your friends and ask the waiter to bag 1/2 the meal before serving you, its not uncommon, alot of people do this. I'm sure your friends will understand and want to support you. Hope this helps :flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Just practice self-control...who says you have to down 5 beers and a bag of tortilla chips and some pizza when you're out with friends? There's no reason to starve yourself so you can over-do it later on. It won't ruin your metabolism in one day, but it allows you to justify overindulging by fasting, which isn't a healthy way of thinking for a lifestyle change like this. Just eat normally, and leave maybe 200 calories more than you'd normally eat for dinner. Then order something healthy. If it's huge, eat half.
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Do things like cut your meal in half and put half in a box before you start eating. Also talk more, eat less! Watch what you eat...staying away from things like cheese, fried batter, and lots of pasta or bread are all helpful. Fill up on salads and soups with clear broths first :)
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the comments already made - do an extra workout or eat a LITTLE less earlier in the day so you have a few calories to spare. But don't skip a meal. Actually, what helps me is to actually have a healthy snack right BEFORE I go out, so that I'm not hungry and it's easier to turn away the munchies. Plan ahead - if you have access to the menu beforehand, decide what you're going to get. Go for the salad, easy on the dressing and the appetizers.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Oh I sooooo have this problem and I blamed my friend. Everytime we go out, we over eat. Appetizers (fried) bread, bread, bread, saucy, buttery foods. :grumble:

The last time we went out I ordered water, she ordered water. I ordered clear soup, she ordered clear soup. I said no appetizer, she said whew i am not that hungry. I ordered salmon-no butter, no salt-asked waitress to see if the cook could put some yummy spices, my friend said that sounded good and ordered the same.:noway:

My point is I am a leader now! Who woulda thunk it? :tongue:

If you go for mexican...ask for a small plate...take out 10 chips, break them up and dip them. I swear it wont feel like you are being deprived.

Italian-go for the salad with vinagerette dressing on the side. Ask if the cook will do something with veggies and chicken stock.

ENJOY!!!!:flowerforyou:

I worked in the biz and know that most cooks (if it isnt friday nite!!) are happy to fix it up a bit. It is not uncommon in todays world to ask for healthy food.