Women's Boxing Gloves?

Options
We have a bag at my gym and I love hitting it so I think it's time to invest in some gloves. Edit to add that I will be using them for a heavy bag and not a speed bag.

What brand do you use? I am trying to decide between a 12oz or 14oz. I wear a size 4.75 ring but my fingers are long and skinny... I'm thinking the 14oz would probably be a better fit?

Replies

• lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    I use Everlast Gel Wrap Gloves for sparring and bag work in my martial arts classes. They are 1/2 fingered gloves going over the knuckle. You can find them at ****'s Sporting Goods for about $25.00.
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    The oz are simply a weight measurement so the size of your hand/ring shouldn't play a role. It's based on how much you want to be holding up while you're punching.

I used to take Muay Thai for physical fitness and trained alongside fighters. The glove sizes played different roles, other than we worked out with what we were able to. I used 12 oz gloves. Some girls used 14 or even 16. All the guys had 16oz. When we sparred, we used 16 oz as they have the most "cushioning" so injuries weren't an issue. (sparring was about technique, not brute force). In actual fights, 10 oz gloves were used....it's not about cushioning then!

Pick whatever weight you want to work out. As far as brands there's quite a few and working with a bag you can use just about anything. I have Twins gloves and after a year of use in a class 4 days a week, they still looked new. I just wish the class was still offered! But I have a bag and work with it from time to time.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I ask about the fit b/c after reading several reviews re: the weight on Amazon (from posters who ordered anywhere from 8oz to 16oz, they did mention the higher the oz, the roomier the fit, and I just don't want them to be too tight and uncomfortable.

I'm not looking to spar- just hit the bag and get in a good workout... not sure if going fingerless would be a better option for my needs? Sorry for so many questions- it's all new to me!
  • lilsailorx
    lilsailorx Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Im training to be a fighter and would personally recommend full boxing gloves not the half finger kind. You run the risk of rubbing your knuckes raw from hitting the bag(believe me I know. Its extremely painful and I have permanent scars now..) Oz glove weight doesnt matter. Most gloves are available in womens sizes. Anystore that carries womens boxing gear should have them, and they are all over online. Mine cost 25$ Plus gloves wont be tight and uncomfortable, they are usually made with adjustable velcro now. :) Its a great workout!!
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I would definitely go with a full glove in whatever weight you want. Even if you do 12 oz, you will still have plenty of room, but not so much that you feel super loose. Plus if you use wraps (which you should to protect knuckles/wrists) you will need a little room. But even then you will not be "tight".