Fat burn zone

Options
I know everyone is about HIT and HIIT these days, but there's something I dont understand. If I burn 500 calories by brisk walking and 500 cal by running, which one will burn more fat? Isnt the steady cardio that puts you in a fat burning zone supposed to burn higher ratio of fat to carbs/protein? I dont wont to do interval, lose muscle and then have to do weigh training to get it back. So, if I have time, is it better to go steady? Just wondering...

Replies

• editara13
    editara13 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Walking is better, because the possibility is to burn only fat, but running with shred muscles too......

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Thats what I thought... hmmmm...
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I have actually never thought about that... What wikipedia seems to tell us:

"Studies [...] have explored the effectiveness of this method compared to traditional endurance training methods.
    [...] 2.5 hours of sprint interval training produced similar biochemical muscle changes to 10.5 hours of endurance training and similar endurance performance benefits."

And:

"Long aerobic workouts have been promoted as the best method to reduce fat, as fatty acid utilization usually occurs after at least 30 minutes of training. HIIT is somewhat counterintuitive in this regard, but has nonetheless been shown to burn fat more effectively [...].
    An effective method for burning fat when you are doing cardiovascular exercise is to use interval training workouts. This workout incorporates short high-intensity bursts which keeps the body burning calories long after working out."

Source: Wikipedia (so probably worth double checking).
  • AlwaysWanderer
    Options
    Now I'm confused...
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you what the studies show as I don't have the literature in front of me. I can tell you, however, that I burn more fat the more intensely I workout. That means my cardio workouts are short and brief, yet exhaustingly intense. I also weight train, but I feel that this is important no matter what. My mom, for example, lost over 100 pounds by just walking in that so-called fat burning zone, but she had loose droopy skin all over her body, too. It wasn't until she started to weight train that this firmed up. It caused her to have less aches and pains among a variety of other benefits.
  • AlwaysWanderer
    Options
    Would it be best to incorporate both then? happy middle?
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Here's an article that helped me a lot and I try to incorporate it...It answers some of the exact questions you're asking. It's long but read it, seriously.

http://figureathlete.t-nation.com/free_online_article/training/the_final_nail_in_the_cardio_coffin
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/guide/7-most-effective-exercises

I found this online at web md. It is really good, check it out. Gives you all the answers you need. From the professionals.