Stationary Bike

Options
Hi all,

I have recently been given a stationary bike to use to help with my weight loss and fitness. I'm having a bit of a struggle with getting to grips with it. It is very old, no digital info pane or anything like that. It has a little gauge on how fast your going and a twiddly knob for the resistance. So far I've been doing about 30 mins a night and going to start doing another 30 in the morning and extending the evening more once I get used to it.
The only thing is I have no idea if the amount of calories I'm ACTUALLY burning are the same as when I record it on here as I don't know if I'm working hard enough. I don't put it on a really high resistance, enough to feel warm about 10-15 mins in.
Could anyone give me any info on if/what I'm doing wrong?
Also I was watching videos on Youtube, and they all do a standing section, I cant do that on my bike! The pedals stick at the bottom, is it that I've got the seat height wrong, or that I'm just rubbish??

Elisa

Replies

• marielw
    marielw Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hi Elisa,

I've got a pretty old stationary bike aswell, but it does tell me calories burned. I don't have it on a high resistance, probably medium, like you said enough to get warm after about 10-15 minutes. I find that it says that i burn 350 calories after about 32 minutes. On MFP, it is a little less, probably closer to 300, so i normally log a bit inbetween. Good luck!
    Marie :smile:
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    The best way to check your cal. burn would be to buy/borrow a HRM. The MFP should only be used as a guide - as you fitness goes up, your cal burn will go down!