I will never understand earphones use outside

Options
2»

Replies

• shelcof
    shelcof Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I go either way depending on my mood...if its a peaceful morning, I love to listen to the birds. BUT there are times when I need some good kick butt music to keep me moving
  • lovejoydavid
    lovejoydavid Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I just dont like to run the risk of interacting with strangers

There it is!
  • lovejoydavid
    Options
    if you run to music... you tend to run about 15% faster and work harder. and you can't hear yourself huffing and puffing...

Just like caffeine, the perfomance ehancement of music seems to wane with extended use. It is currently advised to try at least one run a week without, so as to jumpstart the benefit. I actually have never run a half or full marathon with my music (some won't let you anyway).
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options

There it is!
    Social anxiety. Im nervous enough out in public as it is. I dont need people making it worse.
    It really makes me twitch when they try to get me to take out the earphones to talk to them, too.

Besides the fact that my mind in anything resembling silence tends to run away with itself.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I always wear headphones when I'm out for a walk or jog in my neighborhood, but it's never too loud that I can't hear a car approaching or something moving in the brush next to me. I walk on a busy road so it's important that I can hear people or cars nearby, but I also listen to music at the same time because it helps me go farther and work harder because it is distracting and makes time go by faster.

When I'm walking or jogging in the woods (for a hike) or on the beach, I don't listen to music because the sounds of nature are relaxing.
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    Unfortunately, we don't all have that luxury of being in such close proximity to nature so wearing headphones obviously can depend on where and what kind you choose as well --- headphones are not all alike! after plenty of trial and error these are the ones i use PMX 680i- http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_sport-line_504604

you can still hear external noises... they do not budge, complete sweat/waterproof - you can run them underwater to clean them! ... and this just happened since the last time I posted something about them here on MFP in one of these headphone threads...when my iPhone started crapping out a bit giving me some intermittent sound issues and I thought it was the headphones I sent the headphones back to sennheiser and they sent me a brand new set NO QUESTIONS ASKED! :love:

i have been told there are other brands with this behind the ear attachment setup - i don't know if that's true or what they are but the way that they sit on your head is the best feature.... on top of not being able to hear external sounds wearing traditional iPod in-ear earbuds... those styles get saturated with sweat when you run or exert yourself and very quickly this will cut out left and right channels and make them not only unlistenable but VERY uncomfortable
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I can see using music for working out and running and all. But just for a leisurely walk and not a work out...I agree. I like the nature too. I work and go to school at a big university, and the majority of students listen to music to and from class. Like...the second they get out the door...they're putting their head phones on. We like to call it "ipod oblivian," because so many of them don't realize what's going on around them.

But hey...to each their own :)
  • lovejoydavid
    Options

There it is!
    Social anxiety. Im nervous enough out in public as it is. I dont need people making it worse.
    It really makes me twitch when they try to get me to take out the earphones to talk to them, too.

Besides the fact that my mind in anything resembling silence tends to run away with itself.

I am a huge advocate of public transportation, but I end up bike commuting quite a lot. And, it is not for fitness! It is, in fact, to avoid weirdos.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I don't listen to music when I run, because I would have an irresistible urge to start dancing, which would make me look like an bigger *kitten*.

I believe I have perfected the dance-run. As well as the air guitar/air drum/air violin-run. Its a fine art.

To each his own. Don't want to listen to music? Don't listen to music!
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Running or walking with earphones outdoors inhibits your ability to be aware of your surroundings and makes you a potential victim of predators -- human or non-human.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    To each, their own, but I'm with the OP.

And I do live in a city.

And for me, unless all my music has the exact same beats per minute, it would throw off my pace in a haphazard way. I run evenly and I like it that way.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    if you run to music... you tend to run about 15% faster and work harder. and you can't hear yourself huffing and puffing...

I got sick of certain songs on my iPod cause I had to listen to them to keep my pace!
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    *shrug* sometimes I listen to music when I'm walking/jogging and sometimes I don't. But -ALL of the time, I don't care what other people are doing if they're not bothering me or hurting anyone else.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    It's just a personal preferance. I personally can't stand the quiet, or at least very rarely. I always have music on, or if I'm home the TVs on, even if I'm not necessarily watching it. I get too bored to go walking or jogging without music, unless I'm with someone and talking to them. Even when I'm at work I have to have music on, although the type of music varies pretty much daily. I don't understand how people can run or workout in the quiet.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I like to drown out the sounds of my own voice reminding me of every single thing I have to do over and over and over again in my head. I run or walk to get some alone time, to get away from the stress of children and dinner and laundry and errands. I don't want there to be any room in my head for incessant worrying... so I fill it with music instead.