oatmeal

Options
hi!
so i have 2 questions about oatmeal:
1) how do YOU like to eat your oatmeal.. like what do you add to it when you have it?
2) are oatmeal and egg whites a good pre-workout meal?

Replies

• NuMe46
    NuMe46 Posts: 128
    Options
    I like to add chopped dates, chopped walnuts, dash of cinnamon and a dash of vanilla extract. I think oatmeal and egg whites sounds like a good meal. How are you cooking the egg whites?
  • tdot64
    tdot64 Posts: 19
    Options
    I like to add chopped dates, chopped walnuts, dash of cinnamon and a dash of vanilla extract. I think oatmeal and egg whites sounds like a good meal. How are you cooking the egg whites?

i just chop a tiny bit of onions and cook the egg whites scrambled without oil/butter in a non-stick pan :)
  • mandyschalk
    mandyschalk Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I like my with a small about of brown sugar and a little rasins, YUM!
  • densiert
    densiert Posts: 17
    Options
    I like mine with either brown sugar or mapple syrup. :)
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options
    I would think oatmeal and egg whites would be a decent pre-workout meal. Carbs and protein....I like my oatmeal made with skim milk instead of water and I add cinnamon, ginger, and a sliced banana. If I have a ton of extra calories to eat I'll add some peanut butter.
  • NuMe46
    NuMe46 Posts: 128
    Options
    Wow had not thought of peanut butter but that sounds too good!!!
  • mandysjourney
    mandysjourney Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I make mine with low fat milk and add honey. Have been meaning to try it with different things might try the vanilla and cinnamon idea
  • PorcelainPirate
    Options
    I put a handful of fresh blueberries in mine (when I'm not cheating and buying pre-made). Gorgeous!
  • poseyj88
    poseyj88 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I either to a T of peanut butter with sliced banana or strawberries and almond slices. I always add a dash of skim milk too.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I like oatmeal made with vanilla almond milk and a little cinnamon. Once in awhile, I also like to add some chopped up dried apricots. Yum!
  • ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I either buy the oatmeal you cook on the stove (plain) and add whey protein powder or peanut butter OR 0 cal sweetner and fruit. Or I buy the Quaker weight control b/c it's already pretty loaded with protein. Eggs and Oatmeal with a pc of fruit is awesome 1 hour-1.5 hours before a workout--I eat this pretty much EVERY MORNING and I have awesome tae bo workouts. If you have ever done tae bo, it's pretty intense, and I make it through feeling strong.
  • Susie_Bee
    Susie_Bee Posts: 34
    Options
    I like it best with: a splash of low-fat milk, a tsp of cocoa, a tsp of peanut butter and just a bit of sugar or Stevia.
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    Porridge/Oatmeal for me is made with mostly water and a little skimmed milk to make it creamy. I weigh my porridge and it's 40g dry. I then put about 1 tablespoon of Linwoods flaxseed/goji berry mix in it along with either maple syrup or honey just to sweeten it a bit.

My 2 egg omelettes are made with a dash if milk and then half way thru cooking, I add tuna/sweetcorn and once cooked a bit more, I fold it over and cover the pan with a lid. I eat this about 5 nights a week and I'm not bored yet!
  • sullivanx4
    Options
    I use different flavored extracts (strawberry, almond, maple) depends what I'm in the mood for. I also us PB2 which is a powder peanut butter - it only has about 30 calories per TBSP and tastes just like peanut butter.
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I mix it with 1/2 pack of diet hot cocoa mix, 2tbsp of PB2 powdered peanut butter, 1cup unsweetened almond milk, a dash of almond extract, and a 1/2 banana chopped up. It's sooooooooooo yummy!
  • 1aprilaries
    1aprilaries Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    cut up granny smith apples, sliced strawberries, bananas, sometimes raisins.
  • SpectacuLaura
    SpectacuLaura Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I just had some this morning with soy milk and added in a tablespoon of flax seed and some stevia sweetener- it was so creamy but had some good crunch with the flax seeds and was just awesome!
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I add blueberries, strawberries, apples and raspberries to my oatmeal sometimes with a organic honey. So yummy!
    I only eat egg whites occassionally but am working to incorporate them more in my diet.
  • hikingvee
    hikingvee Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I like the peaches and cream ones : )
  • INSANITY43
    INSANITY43 Posts: 142
    Options
    I make the Quaker one minute oats and add...
    1. cinnamon & brown sugar plus a splash of milk (lowfat)
    2. a 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries (the little "maine" berries)
    3. chopped banana and walnuts
    4. craisins and walnuts
    5. crushed fresh strawberries