Help with carbohydrate cravings

Options
I am currently taking a medication where the major side effect for me is "increased appetite" - which for me is carbohydrate cravings. I have never really been a big fan of cakes or biscuits, traditionally my downfall has been crisps but at the moment I am craving all carbs and to be honest food in general. I have developed a serious sweet tooth and am trying desperately to deal with this while losing the extra 14lbs I have already gained as a result of this.

Currently I am eating more calories in snacks than in meals, even though my meals are perfectly sufficient.

If anyone has any ideas, please....

I know diet drinks are bad for my teeth but I have stocked up on these hoping that they will help to satisfy my cravings.

Replies

• HeyLisa
    HeyLisa Posts: 201
    Options
    Carbs or mock sweet things totally trigger my hunger too.

I'm not saying to avoid them because they add balance to your diet.. but add some higher fiber green veggies or protein works too curb the cravings so on your cracker add .. some tuna, piece of chicken or turkey, hard boiled egg ..
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I also love carbs myself, however I have found a few foods that have helped so far...

Nature's Own Honey Wheat Bread - 1 slice @ 40cals
    Melba Toast - 3 pieces @ 60cals
    Whole wheat Rotini Pasta - Varies in brands but very high in fiber.

I know that I try to snack on different things but it helps to curve the carbs.
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    sometimes whole wheat pasta works for me. i just saute some garlic and tomato in just a little olive oil spray and toss the pasta in it and top it with a TBS of Parmesan. not too high in calories but very satisfying.
  • rachelllk
    rachelllk Posts: 63
    Options
    I was a carb addict until recently. I try to eat all my from vegetables, Eziekiel bread, oatmeal, or whole grain cereal. I upped the amount of protein I get at each meal (except early morning - that's when I eat most of my bread product carbs) and I've beat most of my carb cravings (except baked desserts) and usually struggle to meet my daily 13500 calories. If you switch from regular white bread and more processed carbs to whole grains it'll be tough at first, but it will definitely tone down, if not eliminate, the carb cravings!
  • klkoehn
    klkoehn Posts: 10
    Options
    Get rid of the artificial sweetners - they give you more cravings for sweet because they stimulate your body's desire for sweet but don't meet the need.
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    and usually struggle to meet my daily 13500 calories.

WOW! I need to start your work out routine so I can up my calories! :laugh:
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Eating a very high protein diet is my best defense against sugar/carb cravings. Once I start with the simple carbs it can be hard to stop. Good luck!!!

I have to try to remember this. What high protein suggestions does anyone have. I do peanut butter and eggs but I'm getting pretty tired of the eggs in particular. I know I really need more protein probably.
  • MrsWibbly
    MrsWibbly Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I have tried...

Eating extra veggies with every meal (even breakfast)
    Increasing the protein in my meals
    Decreasing the carbs or increasing the carbs in my meals
    Filling in between meals with water or diet drinks or veggies or protein (i.e. laughing cow cheesy triangles or slices of turkey or ham or houmous)
    Having measured amounts of the things I crave (carefully weighed and included in my plan)
    Distraction (finding something else to do)
    Cleaning my teeth ( as I don't like eating with that toothpaste taste still in my mouth)

As the cravings are the result of my medication , I find that I am ok through the morning but once I have lunch then I am hungry and I am still hungry until about an hour after I take my dose in the evening. If I take my dose earlier in the evening then the munchies kick in earlier the next day.

Feel like I am banging my head against a brick wall trying to beat these cravings. This medication changes my whole attitude to food and affects my tastes and preferences. I don't normally eat ice cream, not a big fan but when I am on this medication I could eat half a litre at a time. Normally when I eat out I would either chose a starter or a dessert as I couldn't possibly eat both, and I doubt I would be able to finish any main course. On the medication I can eat a starter, main, couple of sides, dessert and have several drinks with the meal and probably still feel hungry.

Arrrgggghhhhh!!