Help Me Understand My Stomach Pain

Options
I get these hunger pains about 30 minutes after I eat. I can be stuffed to the gills with food, and 30 minutes later, have what I think is hunger pains. Here is the weird part. It only happens when I eat fruit. It can be a banana, orange, peach, apple.....

I asked the doctor I use to use a long time ago about this and he brushed it off and said it was the sugar in the fruit. I wonder if this is correct and I wonder if they are really hunger pains or something else???

Replies

• sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    If you are stuffing yourself with fruit, it might be all the fiber giving you gas pains!:frown:
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Do you by any chance have any pollen allergies? There is a very common but often overlooked problem in many hayfever sufferers called Oral Allergy Syndrome that causes cross-reactions to certain raw fruits and vegetables. Symptoms can range from itching and swelling of the mouth and throat to stomach cramps and diarrhea.

If you Google Oral Allergy Syndrome, you can get lists of which pollens correspond to which raw fruits and veggies.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I would see a Gastroenterologist. You sound like you have IBD.
  • ritafay2011
    Options
    Hello, if @ 20 and still hungry grab some fruit and nuts just portion control them!!! have cyrstal light!!!!!,it's my bff!!!!!!..i do feel ya!! been there.......:smile:
  • jshbryan
    jshbryan Posts: 29
    Options
    Let me clarify. It is not gas or real pain. It is like a hunger pain. Like you haven't eaten all day. Once I eat again, it goes away.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Let me clarify. It is not gas or real pain. It is like a hunger pain. Like you haven't eaten all day. Once I eat again, it goes away.

Maybe you shouldn't have called it 'stomach pain' then. LOL

If you just 'feel hungry', then I agree with your doctor. The big influx of sugar from the fruits spikes your blood sugar and then you have a corresponding sugar crash which makes you feel hungry again.

Try eating some protein or additional fiber along with your fruits, both of which will keep your blood sugar more stable.
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    When I first started I would get the same thing. I would just drink water, wait 20 mins and see if that didn't help. If not I would snack on a cheese stick or have a few slices of lunch meat. For me it was the protein that helped curb those pains the most.
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too if I eat fruit as a stand alone snack. I think it's because as the other posters suggested it spikes your sugar levels. Because of this, as the others have also already suggested, add a bit of protein when you eat fruit. Or what I like to do is eat fruit with my meals, which by the way, helps prevent the gassies. :blushing: