For those who Worry About Eating Late at Night

Options
Here is an article going through the various research on the topic. http://www.leangains.com/2011/06/is-late-night-eating-better-for-fat.html

Is Late Night Eating Better for Fat Loss and Health?
1:45 PM | Posted by Martin Berkhan

If late night eating interferes with fat loss, why do people who eat more in the evening lose more fat than people who don't?

If carbs become fattening after 6 PM, how come people who eat more carbs after 6 PM lose more fat than those who eat them earlier in the day?

If we should "eat breakfast like a king, lunch a queen, dinner like a pauper", then why does breakfast skipping and nightly feasts lead to fat loss and improved blood lipids?

If eating late is bad for you, why does almost every controlled study show that eating later in the day is better than eating earlier in the day?

And if the above statements are true, why do people still believe that late night eating is bad for you...?
[To read the rest go to the link]

Replies

• eeeeergh
    eeeeergh Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Ooooh thankyou! interesting read!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,123 Member
    Options
    Based on the sheer number of posts of people asking about this, I expected more responses. Well, bump anyway.
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    It's a myth that it's bad.....1200 calories a day is 1200 calories a day....whether they are eaten through out the day or all at once....your body got the same amount.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Interesting. No time to read the article atm but the rhetorical questions posted seem highly suspect atanding alone.

I can see why late night eating makes no difference but not how it can actually be better.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I thought this was interesting. My issue with late night..is that I do follow the whole..dont eat 3 hrs before bed..so for me, I end up with extra calories not being consumed. But with this article..I now feel better eating something before bed to make up my caloric deficit.

Thanks for posting...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've eaten the bulk of my calories at night all my life. I have worked a desk job for 30+ years and just don't get that hungry when I'm just sitting around.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,123 Member
    Options
    Glad this was helpful to some.
  • Viewparadise
    Options
    I have always suspected.... I am a total night eater and have always been. I've lost weight in past doing this as well (not reflected in my progress scale, this was 40 lbs lost in the 90's that I have KEPT OFF!!!). I have always envied those who can go to be hungry and actually FALL ASLEEP. I just wake up totally ravenous, in the middle of the night. Good to know that my natural tendency won't do me in...