Is there such thing as too much?

dwardkaiser
dwardkaiser Posts: 58
edited September 29 in Fitness and Exercise
I was wondering, is there such thing as too much exercise?
For the past couple of weeks my schedule has been:
Monday: 6:30pm - 7:30pm Aeorobic/Step/Weights class
Tuesdays: 6am-7am Aeorbic Weight Training Class 7am-7:45am Elipitcal 6:30-7:30 Water Zumba
Wednesday: 6:30-7:30 Eliptical
Thursday: 6am-7am Aeorbic Weight Training Class 7am-7:45am Elipitcal 6:30-7:30 Water Zumba
Friday: 6:30pm-7:30pm Eliptical and Weight Machines
Saturday: 1 hour walk/jog
Sunday: 1 hour walk/jog

With the walk jog- I have been walking 1 block and then running 1.5 blocks then repeat.

My body feels fine but I dont want to over do it?
For the last couple of days though- my weight hasnt budged! I am really pushing my self too!

Insight from people would be nice.
THANKS!!
HUGS! :flowerforyou:
Danielle

Replies

• timlord
    timlord Posts: 158
    yes
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Well, I go to the gym six days a week (sometimes I even hit it that seventh day). I do 70 minutes elliptical, 20-30 minutes of arc training, and 30 minutes at Curves five days a week. On Sunday, I do anywhere from 70 to 140 minutes of cardio and skip Curves (they're closed). Occasionally, I do 70 minutes on Saturdays too.

I take days off or time off if I just feel too tired. I listen to my body. If I feel great (99% of the time, I do), I go. If I feel tired, I skip it.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Yes. When do you allow your body to recover? How can your body adapt to all the stresses you're placing upon it when it's just getting more and more stressed?

In exercise and fitness, more is definitely not better.
  • Rob82
    Rob82 Posts: 15
    You can definitley over do it. I would recommend taking atleast one day off from exercise. Your body needs time to recover! As for not losing weight, don't sweat it. Ignore the scale for awhile and look for other changes in your body like firmer, toner body parts.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    I do about 25 minutes a day at home. I burn about 200 calories i eat about 1400 calories in total. i exercise more when i want to eat more food. How much are you eating?
  • You can definitley over do it. I would recommend taking atleast one day off from exercise. Your body needs time to recover! As for not losing weight, don't sweat it. Ignore the scale for awhile and look for other changes in your body like firmer, toner body parts.

Thank you! I have noticed a change in the way that I carry my self. Also my clothes are looser! I think that it is time to throw the scale out!!!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    A day of rest is just as important as the exercise itself!! Less is sometimes more when it comes to exercise. If you drop one of the cardio sessions during the week, you can probably push harder in the subsequent sessions for a better work out.
  • akaugher
    akaugher Posts: 8
    Like the others' said, you need a break day. On Sunday you could just take a nice walk for that hour and cut out the running. If you're too tired or sore one day, listen to your body and take a break.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Actually i think you are doing great but yes you can rest a day dont sweat it.
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    There are some other things you can do also. Change up your cardio for some weight training - ie, one or two of those days when you are sweating it out on the elliptical swap it for multiple sets with some weights, or circuit machines. Your body should be tired when you are done, but not achy til the next day. DO NOT WORK OUT THE SAME AREA EVERY DAY! You need to recover.
    Muscle actually weighs more than fat, but it also burns fat. So you need to gain a little then you will lose like mad!
    You need to rest at least once a week - and if you feel like you need to do something, do general household stuff like cleaning or vacuuming or mowing the yard - push mower is best. Or go for a leisurely walk - but do not push your body like you do at a work out. You can't function without sleep, your muscles can't regenerate without a day of rest either!
    Good Luck
  • I do about 25 minutes a day at home. I burn about 200 calories i eat about 1400 calories in total. i exercise more when i want to eat more food. How much are you eating?

I am on a medical weight loss program now, I am considering dropping it though. I have been on it almost 3 weeks.
    I am on Phentermine 37.5mg and on the weekends I haven’t been taking it. It really suppresses my appetite though and I feel as if I have a control on portions now.

I have been eating the same thing now with a couple of variations:
    Breakfast: Chocolite Protein Shake
    Lunch 3-4oz of meat and a small salad consisting of lettuce, spinach, celery, cucumbers and red wine vinegar
    Dinner 3-4oz of meat and a fresh vegetable.

During the weekends I have a 3 egg omelet with Canadian Bacon and Shredded No Fat Cheddar Cheese.
    Every couple of nights I will treat myself to a sugar free popsicle or Jell-O. :smile:
  • A day of rest is just as important as the exercise itself!! Less is sometimes more when it comes to exercise. If you drop one of the cardio sessions during the week, you can probably push harder in the subsequent sessions for a better work out.

Thanks!!!
  • Thanks Wendy!!

This really helps! I will start to incorporate the machines in-between! Do you recommend a certain amount of sets or reps to start out with?
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Thanks Wendy!!

This really helps! I will start to incorporate the machines in-between! Do you recommend a certain amount of sets or reps to start out with?

3-4 sets of 10-12
  • Thanks Wendy!!

3-4 sets of 10-12

Thanks!!!
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    I think you should be taking at least one day completely off every two weeks. Most people generally have one day a week where they don't exercise, or they do very light exercise, so their body can rest and recover. Even if you feel fine you could still be overdoing it.
  • One day a week off wouldn't be a bad idea. But remember you could be gaining muscle..and it weighs more than fat! IT WILL CATCH UP! Keep up the good work...I wish I had that much time to work out!! LOL
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    You're doing relatively low intensity stuff, so I think you're fine. If you're still trying to lose weight I'd stick with the plan and not up the calories.

People, please stop feeding bad info...muscle does not weigh more than fat, muscle is less dense than fat. If you're gaining weight there is a problem with your diet, it isn't your muscles getting bigger...off my soapbox now.
  • One day a week off wouldn't be a bad idea. But remember you could be gaining muscle..and it weighs more than fat! IT WILL CATCH UP! Keep up the good work...I wish I had that much time to work out!! LOL

Thanks Bec!! I am working my butt off! My issue is that I want instant results, I think. LOL <-- Would be nice!!!
This discussion has been closed.