How do you not go over your Sodium count living in New Orlea

Options
I am a full blooded YAT! Which means I was born, raised and still live in New Orleans. There is not a day that goes by that my sodium count isn't 1000+ what it should be. I try so hard to stay away from salt but my SEASONED mouth just will not accept the bland food. Any one have any suggestions?

Replies

• Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    We make our own spice and herb blends without salt or with low salt. We use Paul Prudhomme's salt-free cajun magic. And we try not to eat out too much, make the marvelous foods we love in the restaurants at home in a healthier way. It's not easy, and we're not perfect--of all the things I struggle with, keeping my sodium to a reasonable level is the biggest thing. But I'm doing better, and better is better than not, right?

Kris
  • Tajmommy12
    Tajmommy12 Posts: 10
    Options
    I too am from New Orleans; i live in Gonzales now, since Katrina. I totally have the same issue with food. I can't seem to get passed the taste of "bland' food. New Orleans food is the BEST in the world. So I need help as well.
  • flyboy1
    flyboy1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    There is taste in food without the salt once you get use to it.
  • MuchMovement
    MuchMovement Posts: 100
    Options
    Slowly cut back day by day... eventually your tastes should adjust
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I don't eat much in the way of processed/boxed foods or eat out that much so the majority of my food is home cooked. I season everything with salt- it tastes like crap without it, let's be honest. I haven't had any adverse issues from doing this and when I do eat out the food tastes salty and makes me weigh in heavier, so i think I have found a nice balance.
  • bunnyb11
    bunnyb11 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    not sure if your limit is any different but the sodium recommendation on MFP is 2500. i struggle with this issue as well.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I'm not much of a help, since I'm Canadian...but I find that seasonings other than salt help. I put cinnamon on toast, garlic salt on chicken, etc. Sodium and table salt are different in my mind. Avoid eating out, eating fried, and eating frozen. :)
  • dorisholaway
    dorisholaway Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I use garlic pepper in place of salt. I also have been a salt aholic for years, but find that the garlic pepper or garlic herb is fine instead.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    There is taste in food without the salt once you get use to it.

This is true! I got over the salt-taste need by going almost completely salt-free for 6 months. No processed foods, no restaurant foods, no adding salt to meals, etc. It sucked at first, but by the end of the 6 months, all my food tasted better, and now, years later, I still have to order things no-salt in restaurants because they taste like chemicals if I have full-salt. But the processed foods are my bane, and they get me every time. So even with not adding salt and asking for things with no salt, I still struggled to stay within the limits because salt really is ubiquitous.

Kris
  • forever28
    forever28 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I love salt too. However, I HIGHLY recommend switching over to Morton's Salt Substitute - there is nothing in it however it still gives you that "salt" flavor. Also, we use a ton of Ms Dash salt free herbs/spices. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    I'm from New Orleans & live on the Northshore now :) start by slowly cutting back on the salt & make sure you are drinking plenty of water. My dad just did a crawfish boil yesterday & I'm up 5 pounds from sodium ( I don't eat anything but crawfish & mushrooms at those things lol
  • MyJourney11
    Options
    Drink A LOT of water!!!!!! I don't add salt to hardly anything. I use crushed black pepper in everything though. If I ever cook anything that MUST have salt, like mashed potatoes, I put very little and then tell Brandon he has to add his own :)
  • KatiePeca
    KatiePeca Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I heard your taste buds regenerate in cycles, I can't recall how many days it takes, but lets just say its something like every 30 days. So, if you cut back gradually over the next month, your new taste buds will be used to less salt and you'll start picking out new flavors in your food to enjoy!

Katie
  • bgombarick
    Options
    Have you tried garlic powder or lemon juice? I know there's nothing better'n'salt but my husband has been on low sodium for a long time. Here's one for sure - hot sauce! low in sodium and great on the taste buds!
  • MindyLynn77
    MindyLynn77 Posts: 126
    Options
    I'm from New Orleans & live on the Northshore now :) start by slowly cutting back on the salt & make sure you are drinking plenty of water. My dad just did a crawfish boil yesterday & I'm up 5 pounds from sodium ( I don't eat anything but crawfish & mushrooms at those things lol

LOL.. The mushrooms are my FAVORITE!!! I always have 5-6 lb gains when i eat crawfish..even when i dont eat alot of them lol.. Sodium is a mofo! water water water water!!!!