Does horseback riding count?

Options
So I grew up on a farm and used to have a horse and man were my legs nice and toned in those days!!! So does horseback riding count as exercise? I know it's not really cardio but it does work your leg muscles pretty good... I guess I'm just feeling really bummed, it's been 6 years since I sold my horse but I miss her like crazy. Once we start having kids we're going to move out to the country and I'll be able to get a horse again, but boy I wish I could afford boarding. But it's just so crazy expensive!!! It costs as much a month to board a horse as it does for our house payment. I wish I lived closer to my dad I'd just keep the horse there, but that's why I had to sell mine to begin with... Just feelin down today and wishin I had a place I could go horseback riding!

Replies

• jenhenning219
    jenhenning219 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    i would count it as exercise, i count cooking dinner and prepping as burning calories because i move around as i do it
  • ltf304
    ltf304 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah it counts! If you're on the horse and just walking around, then no, but trotting (I burn 300 in 30 minutes) can burn serious calories. It is in the exercise database also. If this is what you love then I suggest doing it as a cardio exercise and incorprate some strength training at least 3 days a week. Have fun!
  • cgd67
    cgd67 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Sure. Check local stables and see if you can get out and ride!
  • ltf304
    Options
    Just read your post again and noticed you can't afford a horse. My suggestion is to look for a horse rescue in your area and volunteer. You can work around and horses and ride the volunteer horses to help them become adoptable. Hope this helps!
  • cbratthauer
    cbratthauer Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Sure. Check local stables and see if you can get out and ride!

There are only 2 stables where I live and in order for you to ride their horses, you have to take lessons... I don't need lessons I've been riding since I was 8... And I also can't afford lessons, so I'm pretty much stuck :cry:
  • aclark6818
    aclark6818 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Yes it does!! It's actually in the database under aerobics. Hope you get to ride soon.
    :flowerforyou:
  • cbratthauer
    Options
    Just read your post again and noticed you can't afford a horse. My suggestion is to look for a horse rescue in your area and volunteer. You can work around and horses and ride the volunteer horses to help them become adoptable. Hope this helps!

That's a good idea! I haven't heard of anything like that around here but I'm definitely going to research and see if I can find something.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, riding counts. Especially if you're actively riding ... it will work your legs, your butt and your core big time. Calories burned depend upon the pace. For 150 pound person, for one hour of riding: walking = 177 calories; trotting (posting) = 422 calories; galloping = 544 calories. Even grooming and saddling up burn about 238 calories an hour.

Hmmm. Maybe I need to get out today and ride some. I've got eight of those hay burners here. If you lived closer, that might keep you busy! :)
  • BigClaire88
    Options
    Rather than pay for lessons could you perhaps offer to muck out, groom and be a general help on the yard for a couple of hours at weekends in return for lessons? I can appreciate you don't need lessons but it's probably for the owners peace of mind that anyone riding their horses is an able and safe rider.

Different places have different ways of doing things.. for example, my mum is an experienced rider but had not ridden for a few years, so I paid for her to hack out with the riding school. My mum was use to a rising trot but the stable owner preffered people to stand in the stirrups as it's easier on the horses, so my mum did this. There were a couple of other things the stable owner felt they could help with so they suggested one or two lessons just to really get her use to riding 'their way' as appose to the way she was use to riding. :wink:
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm a dressage rider and wear a HRM--a good forward trot session really burns calories and works your core like crazy. For me trot burns more than canter (even sitting trot) but my mare is a big warmblood and takes alot of core to ride.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm working as a horse back riding instructor this summer (I've been riding since I was 4), and I definitely log it! I don't log all the barn chores I do, but the actual riding I will count!
  • ltf304
    Options

That's a good idea! I haven't heard of anything like that around here but I'm definitely going to research and see if I can find something.
    I volunteer for an equine rescue and they allow the volunteers to help train the horses if they are an experienced rider. Try this website. http://www.iaeral.org/What_you_can_do_.html
    It looks like it may be a drive for you but it might be worth it. Take a look around the area and I'm sure you can find somewhere to volunteer. :)
  • ltf304
    Options
    Rather than pay for lessons could you perhaps offer to muck out, groom and be a general help on the yard for a couple of hours at weekends in return for lessons? I can appreciate you don't need lessons but it's probably for the owners peace of mind that anyone riding their horses is an able and safe rider.

Different places have different ways of doing things.. for example, my mum is an experienced rider but had not ridden for a few years, so I paid for her to hack out with the riding school. My mum was use to a rising trot but the stable owner preffered people to stand in the stirrups as it's easier on the horses, so my mum did this. There were a couple of other things the stable owner felt they could help with so they suggested one or two lessons just to really get her use to riding 'their way' as appose to the way she was use to riding. :wink:
    This is a good idea too!! If you have a lot of experience then you maybe can get hired to give horse lessons in trade for riding or work for the barn in trade. So many options for you!
  • cbratthauer
    Options

I volunteer for an equine rescue and they allow the volunteers to help train the horses if they are an experienced rider. Try this website. http://www.iaeral.org/What_you_can_do_.html
    It looks like it may be a drive for you but it might be worth it. Take a look around the area and I'm sure you can find somewhere to volunteer. :)

This is actually the closest equine rescue around my area I do believe... Only a 45 minute drive to Cedar Rapids from here and definitely worth it for me!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Well, I count it as exercise, but I don't always log it, because it's so varied that it's hard to know the ballpark calorie output, but I totally know what you mean about the legs! After a day of trail riding, there are muscles in my inner thighs that I didn't even know existed that are sore! It's amazing how much leg strength you have to use, especially bareback for an hour or so. I love it!

I'm sorry you can't have a horse right now, though, When I was a kid, I used to go to the local stables or shelters and offer to muck out stalls in exchange for time with the horses. Don't think I could get away with it now, but that was my horse fix when I couldn't have one as a kid. :) We have two Quarter Horses that we use for roping/reining and trail riding, but we live in a smaller city that actually has a lot of property within the main part of the city that's zoned for animals, so we rent a house within the town and keep them in the pasture right next to the house. They're such wonderful animals, and it's awesome that we get to have them so close, and yet still live within the city.

Hope that it works out for you soon that you can have them again! :)
  • craftykimmer
    craftykimmer Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yes it counts! It's in the database too. I get 113 calories burned for 30 min of general riding. I also get 87 cal. for 20 min of grooming. I know it doesn't feel like exercise tho, LOL. Except.... When my horse is being a goofball and spooking at everything and I'm trying to stay on LOL.
    I wonder if you checked at your stable you might be able to lease or half lease a horse?
  • cbratthauer
    Options
    Thanks everybody!!! I found a place in town that will let me do a lease or half lease on a horse, just waiting to hear back on how much. I so hope I can afford it. If not, I'll see if I can work for it instead! I'm definitely getting excited!
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I am so sure it counts...

I ride saddle seat equatation and OMG I sweat and burn calories and work parts of my body that I can't get too when I am just doing cardio and strength training...
  • horsiegall
    horsiegall Posts: 70
    Options
    Hell yeah it counts we ride on the beach down here in south texas every Monday and I don't mean a Lil walk sometimes were out there for 2-3 hours . Tell me that's not exercise
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    It sure does, you have to have the balance and muscles to stay on and keep up with the horse. My sister in law barrel races and trains horses and shes a bigger gal, but the Dr. stated when she has her C-section she had the most strongest stomach muscles he has seen. She would have had at least a 4 pack if she was thinner. My legs and core get a work out when I ride, so yes, it is a great strength workout..:bigsmile: