How shoud I log this?

Options
When I lift weights, I first warm up on the treadmill. I know how to log that, of course. After that, though, I will do about two minutes of abs, go straight into two minutes of legs, then two minutes of arms. I will repeat that set three times and then do a two-minute sprint on the treadmill. I will do three cycles of that, changing the ab, leg, and arm exercise each time. After my warm up, three cycles take about 45 minutes.

I have been logging my total running time and then the weight-lifting separately. So, if I warm up for 10 minutes and do three cycles, that is 16 minutes of total running and about 40 minutes of weight-lifting. I am wondering if I should log the total time after my warm-up as circuit training, though?

I am trying to get an accurate estimate of calories burned because I am trying to maintain, not lose weight. I would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks!

Replies

• bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I would log that as circuit training. Doing the different exercises in rapid succession is keeping your HR up more than weight lifting separately and it sounds pretty close to what circuit training actually is.
  • jeffpiipponen
    jeffpiipponen Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Get a polar heart rate monitor - name the excercise whatever you want - log it under cardio - the polar will give you a total calorie count
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I would love to get a heart rate monitor eventually but can't swing the extra cash right now. Paying for the gym membership is enough right now. I am so jealous of everyone who has one!! :)
  • Happygreenmom
    Happygreenmom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know that there is an app on Android Market that turns your phone into a Heart Rate Monitor. It works pretty well.
  • swimmermama
    Options
    Don't have a smart phone either. Again, wish I did!

Thanks for your help, though!
  • swimmermama
    Options
    Anyone else have some thoughts on this?
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I would log it as circuit training. xoxo
  • swimmermama
    Options
    Thanks, cat and stamps! You guys rock! :)