Today's dilemma (6/29/11)

Options
I've been doing pretty well with my eating habits for the past week or two. I started working out two days ago and all soreness and pain aside, I feel pretty good. Here's the kink in my plans:
Today is the last day for one of the ladies that works in my clinic. So we have decided to prepare her favorite meal for lunch today. Her favorite meal is hamburgers. There will be turkey and beef patties, regular buns and whole wheat buns. Along with that, there is also chips, different dips and desserts. My plan is to make my full veggie salad (like I usually do for lunch) and eat a turkey patty, no bread. I will also try not to eat any chips, dips or dessert or to at least really minimize the amount I eat.
My next dilemma is dinner plans for tonight. My wonderful father-in-law is grilling steaks for dinner tonight and has invited us over. He buys the best cuts of meat and never skimps on the size. He buys huge, juicy *****s of meat! And, he has all the trimmings too. Sauteed mushrooms, grilled vegetables, potatoes, greens, etc. CALORIE OVERLOAD!!!:sick: :noway:
I plan on working out before heading out to dinner but I'm still worried I'll go over my calorie limit.
WHAT SHOULD I DO?!?!?!? :sad: :explode:
Any ideas?

Replies

• psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    sounds like you have lunch under control. i would probably try for an extra great calorie burn before dinner and then i think portion control will be the key. maybe if you log in what you plan to eat before you go it will help with the portion control. that usually helps me. good luck!! :bigsmile:
  • caitastic24
    caitastic24 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    You sound like you'll do okay!! Both of those meals sound delicious (:

Keep in mind you don't have to eat everything on your plate either! You can eat like 3/4 of the steak or less. Just say it's so good but filling! I wouldn't beat yourself up at all! Sounds like you will be eating healthy for the most part!

Good luck! (:
  • RachelSweeney
    Options
    Cut the steak in half & only eat that for dinner! You can take the other half & bring it for lunch the next day!!
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options
    Workout, choose carefully, drink plenty of water, fill up on veggies and fruit and watch your portions on the not so good stuff..... and if you do go over don't let one day ruin your big picture. If you're under 14 out of 15 days, you're probably going to get good results. It also helps to stay away from the food -- position yourself with your back to the buffet line, and as far away as you can get. Throw your plate away when you've had YOUR pre-determined amount and start chewing a piece of gum, or even go brush and floss.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Try not to worry about going over once in a while. Remember, weight loss is a journey... not a race. There will be bumps in the road from time to time. If you do not have the will power to keep from eating over your calorie count, the worst thing you can do is beat yourself up about it. My husband and I went to Red Lobster for date night last week. I was so worried about the sodium. Sure enough, I ate more than I should have and my stomach felt awful afterwards. I bloated up immediately after leaving the restaurant. As soon as we got home, I started to drink water. The next day, I drank even more water. After just one full day, I was able to get rid of the bloat and the scale came back down to where I had left off before going out to eat. So, if there is any advice that I can offer, it would be to enjoy yourself. Please don't become obsessed about what you should/shouldn't eat when at special events. Do the best you can. And if you feel you didn't do very well, know that you CAN fix it! Good luck to you. :)
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    This is where I love MFP!!! I plug in everything that's going to be around - that I think I might eat. Then, trim back proportions. IE: 1 turkey burger back to 1/2 turkey burger, count the chips, 3 instead of 6, no dressing on salad, steak - center piece keep to about 3 oz. 1 T mushrooms (don't forget to put in the butter they may be saute'd in), baked potato - skins mostly or small amount of pulp, no butter. Eat lots of veggies you find in all of this. I add it all, and then trim backwards until I get a reasonable amount that fits into my calorie intake for the day. Sometimes I've been really surprised at how much I can actually have. For me it's all about planning ahead. Good Luck, and have a great day!!!! Sounds like fun. Oh, and throw in your exercise and walking whenever possible through the day. :smile:

I also find that one bite of everything really satisfies. Variety is the spice of life. One bite of turkey burger, one bite of chips, one bite of desert, veggies pretty much all I want. At dinner the same thing. Take one bite of EVERYTHING. This way I don't feel deprived. And then, throw away the extras. A cookie? Take one bite, and throw the rest away.
  • maggieschuck
    maggieschuck Posts: 174
    Options
    Don't over eat or binge eat. Make sure You eat before you head out and drink lots of water. You can eat tonight with in limits. We have all been in your position. Do the best that you can. Log your calories today and allow yourself to be over. You can calorie cycle this week if it make you feel better.

use today as your peak day and average your cals for the rest of the week. Ex: Cals per day 1200 x 7 days = 8400 each week. Minus what you have already eaten this week and average the rest. You'll have to be a little under the next few days but on a weekly basis it all adds up the same.

Enjoy today!
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    If you don't have any of the chips, etc at lunch, make sure you have a little something "special" at dinner so you don't feel deprived. Make sure to log everything, though, so you know where you stand! And try to work in extra steps/movement today to make you feel better if you go a little bit over. As others have said, you don't have to eat a whole steak or even a whole patty and keep drinking water (sometimes I tell myself that I have to take a sip of water for every 2 bites of food or I have to drink one glass before the first course and another before the second course, etc.). It sounds like you're aware of what the food options will be and are arming yourself with various strategies, so I think you'll be ok!
    -LP
  • Gulfgrammy
    Gulfgrammy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions PSB 13. Then drink a lot of water before lunch or dinner . Don't deny yourself, but eat in portions. Save the rest
    of your dinner to take home. Eat on a small plate so it looks like you have a lot . Remember to have 1/2 plate veggies, 1/4 a plate carbs, and 1/4 plate protein. remember what goes over the lips stays on the hips. Do extra exercises that day.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    cut down your dinner portion. you can have everything you want within reason. just because it's on your plate doesn't mean you have to pound it down.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    What you shoudl do is ask your father in law if you can bring a friend and let me know when and where to be because that sounds FANTASTIC for dinner! All kidding aside, I say workout and extra 10-15 minutes of cardio and then enjoy while controlling your portions!
  • cori314
    cori314 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This is so amazing!!!! Thank you all for taking the time to give me all of your input! I've already started drinking more water than I usually do so that I'm not so hungry and tempted. I'll have all these excellent tips with me during lunch and dinner so that I can do my best.
    THANK YOU!!!! :happy: :flowerforyou: