this is not brain surgery people

I sometimes get frustrated at all the rules and arguments over the rules I see on here. There is no one right way to lose weight. And all this micromanaging of calories, exercise, when to eat, what to eat, how often to eat, when to exercise is driving me nuts. And yes, I can and do ignore the ones that bug me.

My point is, losing weight is NOT brain surgery. We do not have all the diet books and diets and methods because it is so hard to figure out HOW to lose weight. There is no magic formula. Eat less, move more. Now if you have issues that make it difficult for you to do that then you might need to look a little deeper and find what works best for you. I have a sensitivity to carbs. What does tha mean? It means if I eat carbs then I tend to want to eat everything that comes my way during the day. Does that mean that I canNOT lose weight if I eat carbs? Nope, just means it would be really really hard to do.

All the little rules about what/when/where are to make it easier to lose weight but if you don't need those extra helps belive me, you can simply reduce your calories and move a little more and you WILL lose weight.

Just because eating lots of protein and very little carbs is how I lose weight does not mean it is right for everyone else. So if you found something that works for you , great. Feel free to share it with others but please do NOT insist that it is the ONLY way to lose weight and go around the forum beating people up because they do not choose to follow your example.

Replies

• bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    People need to feel validated.
  • EHuntRN
    EHuntRN Posts: 320 Member
    "Like"...thats all I have to say!!!:glasses:
  • Evarell
    Evarell Posts: 143 Member

[. . . .] So if you found something that works for you , great. Feel free to share it with others but please do NOT insist that it is the ONLY way to lose weight and go around the forum beating people up because they do not choose to follow your example.

Hear, hear!
  • GamecockFan14
    GamecockFan14 Posts: 154 Member
    Excellent post.
  • McghanK
    McghanK Posts: 120
    I agree. I think your post is great! All it is "eat less move more" love it!! There is no ONE perfect solution for all.
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    I love you.
  • emeraldpearl
    emeraldpearl Posts: 60 Member
    your right!!!! everybody's body is different....find out what works for you and do that.......Its ok to be different.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Ok, I MOSTLY agree with the OP.

True, we each need to find the right balance of diet/exercise, but there definetly is a healthy way to do that compared to a UNHEALTHY way to do that.

I think we all know the healthy ways to do it, most people do it the right way, but a lot of people choose to do it in an unsustainable or dangerous way.

I'm not going to go into a big rant, only the people that are ready for change would listen anyhow.

Stay healthy people, do it the right way. By all means, don't listen to me, go talk to a nutritionist!
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    NO ONE makes me bleed MY OWN blood!
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Stay healthy people, do it the right way. By all means, don't listen to me, go talk to a nutritionist!

Agreed. If you know, and I think some people do, that they want to do something a doctor or nutritionist would never authorize, then it's probably a bad idea.

Other than that, have at it.
  • melusinagr
    melusinagr Posts: 205 Member
    Love it! So true!
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    NO ONE makes me bleed MY OWN blood!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Absolutely. Find what works best for YOU.

For me, even the basic formula of "eat less, move more" doesn't always apply. It's too easy for me to not eat enough, then I get either burned out because of lack of energy, or frustrated by lack of results, or both. It was a lightbulb moment for me to realize that I needed to eat more to actually lose weight.
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    not rocket science either :)
  • lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    i know that people need support and want to be validated, and that is an important part of a fitness journey for many, but i also tend to have a tough love outlook about getting fit. stop wishing it and start doing it. every day, every week, every month. if you aren't going to do what needs to be done, you won't see results. your choice.

it is not easy for anyone to change their lifestyle, regardless of where they begin (10 pounds overweight or 100 pounds overweight). changing bad habits is hard for everyone, and the ONLY way it gets easier is to stick with it and do what you need to do over and over and over until it becomes your norm.
  • aneisiena
    aneisiena Posts: 63
    Lol "sensitivity to carbs" I never heard that before. That's exactly what I have!

Best of luck everyone. Remember: being healthy takes time, good decisions, and determination :-)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    The only wrong diet is the fad diet: a diet that involves pills, injections, extreme calorie limits, only eating one type of food, etc. especially if not medically supervised. I won't support them at all (not to be confused with not supporting the person). They are unsustainable, unhealthy, and for some people downright dangerous (re: ephedrine). Call me "judgemental" all you want, but I firmly believe that we need to stop embracing the fad diets and encourage healthy eating and lifestyle changes that will allow people to enjoy a better quality life not just a skinny life.

As for the rest, the folks eating well and exercising, how they do that is all up to them. I totally agree with not thinking that our way is the only way to lose weight and live a healthy lifestyle :)
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Ok, I MOSTLY agree with the OP.

True, we each need to find the right balance of diet/exercise, but there definetly is a healthy way to do that compared to a UNHEALTHY way to do that.

I think we all know the healthy ways to do it, most people do it the right way, but a lot of people choose to do it in an unsustainable or dangerous way.

I'm not going to go into a big rant, only the people that are ready for change would listen anyhow.

LIKE!
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Yup. Love when people ask what my "secret" was when I lost the bulk of my weight. I lean in really close and whisper "I walked for just 20 minutes per day and reduced my caloric intake by 500." Woooooo big secret!! Now I'm even more active because it *leaning in 'cause this is another secret* makes me feel good and became a part of my life now. That's the secret to keeping it off. Make fitness and health important. That's why fads and prepackaged meals don't work. You can't do it forever.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Love this!

It's just like with the exercise calories.. some people eat them, some people don't. I'm one of the ones who don't. When you say that you don't people jump all over you and yell that you're starving yourself and need to eat more. What some don't get is that's what works for my body... and I'm listening to my body and no one else.