protein

Options
I've been wondering... is having a negative in your protein a bad thing? And how much protein is too much?

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    IF you're basing your negative on MFP's default setting for protein (15%) then it's not a problem to go over (barring underlying kidney problems etc) Mine is set to 35% which gives me 1 gram per pound of my goal body weight, or 175 grams of protein a day as a goal.
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Protein is set way to low here on MFP, so having a negative is a bad thing. Most recomendations are that you consume a minimum of 1g of protein for every two lbs of body weight. (100 lbs = 50g of protein). However, if you're in a strength training program that recommendation is 1 to 1 (100 lbs = 100g of protein).
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    As I read the OP the "negative" protein is that protein is a red number so more protein than the "Goal" has been consumed, but with the default goal being 15% of daily calories it's probably too low since if you're not eating protein but hitting your calories you're getting it from carbs or fat. MMMM fat, I do enjoy my whole milk.
  • hippeychick
    Options
    well, that's depressing :frown: i went back and adjusted my protein and I'm now eating way too many carbs and pushing my fat a little over my limit! ugh!!