Is this too much exercise?

Options
So, I decided that I need to take things up a notch, not so much for more weightloss (2-3 more lbs would be cool) but to build muscle and achieve super hottness!!! I'm in my second week of P90X and loving it! I fully trust that it will get me good results because I've seen all of the before and after stories on here...but I also know that since I have already reached my goal weight and am pretty fit already, my results will probably not be as dramatic. I think I'm going to start adding a 20 minute morning workout in, in addition to my evening P90X workouts and resting every Sunday. I want to see what I'm really made of.....BAD IDEA? My husband says I'm becoming obsessed with working out and that I shouldn't do it. I think he just feels this way because he's super lazy. Input would be greatly appreciated!!!

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Maybe he just misses spending time with you. Can you do the P90X in the morning and maybe go for a walk with him later in the day?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    P90X program does offer a doubles which adds more cardio on the strength training days. As long as you are properly fueling your body, eating your exercise calories and getting enough protein, adding and extra 20 minutes should be no problem at all. If you find you are getting tired and worn out doing it this way, either cut back or increase your caloric intake.
  • Jessica5000
    Options
    20 more minutes of exercise is not alot. I would add it. Exercise makes you feel good. It's the endrophins and if that's your drug and you are maintaining a healthy weight, why not? Your man should be happy for you. Do what you want not what others want.
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's too much. I'd suggest some weight training as well.

If you're going be be obsessed with something, let it be health.
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    if you can handle it, then i say do it! mostly bc i did that too with p90x. are you doing the doubles routine? that will have you working out 2x a day 3 days a week in the 2nd month and then 2x/4days in the last month. you should add it to the strength days, though
  • DixieDarlin1987
    DixieDarlin1987 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Well, as much as I love P90X so far, I don't think I want any more Tony in my day (love variety). I'm doing the Classic version. But before I started P90x I was doing a rotation of Jillian Michael's dvds and I loved them too....they are what helped me lose my pregnancy weight. I was thinking of adding in a level of the 30 day shred or Ripped in 30 every other morning, and maybe just doing several sets of different types of squats and lunges on the alternating mornings. My main focus is on tightening and toning (especially my legs). I think I'll give it a try! :)
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of adding in a level of the 30 day shred or Ripped in 30 every other morning, and maybe just doing several sets of different types of squats and lunges on the alternating mornings. My main focus is on tightening and toning (especially my legs). I think I'll give it a try! :)

My normal routine (at least 5 days a week, sometime 6) is 30-45 of weight training and then 45ish minutes of cardio ... and then I joined a JM30DS challenge on here, so I have done exactly what you are considering (I too am at my goal weight and am now focused more on body comp). I do the 30DS at home in the evening even though I have done my normal workout in the afternoon. I am on day 7 today and if you are like me, the JM DVD's would be perfect for this goal of just tightening and toning :)
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Since I am normally pushing 3 hours a day of working out my opinion may be a bit skewed but personally i think adding 20 minutes onto what you already do for p90x is defintely not too much.
  • DixieDarlin1987
    DixieDarlin1987 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I always do my p90x workout while he takes his afternoon nap (he has a very physical job, outside in the heat so he's always super tired....which I'm sure is why he's lazy when he gets home). If I add a morning workout in, it will be before he even wakes up in the morning so I'm really not sacrificing any of our together time. But he mentioned the other day that I was starting to get too skinny (I was only a pound away from my goal so I was pretty much done losing anyway).
    Maybe he just misses spending time with you. Can you do the P90X in the morning and maybe go for a walk with him later in the day?
  • MColette
    MColette Posts: 62
    Options
    I also think that adding 20 min is o.k if you are up to it and makes you feel better.
    One of my friends who is a body builder, taught me, that one crucial component of a trainning program is rest.
    I think you need to rest more that one day a week. Because all the changes in your body happen while you are resting and recovering, if you do it right you will really boost your results. :)
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    If that's too much, i'm totally screwed. :D

I'm hitting the gym 7 hours a week with a trainer, doing another 5-6 hours of cardio, and thinking about adding two zumba classes weekly. LOL