Freezing Bananas?

Options
utes09
utes09 Posts: 561 Member
I've read of people freezing ripe bananas to use at a later date to make banana bread and what not.

Has anyone done this? Do you freeze them still in the peel and then just let thaw so you can mash them when ready to use?

I have some bananas that'll be ripe this weekend and don't have the time I thought I would to make this chocolate banana bread recipe and wanted to know how to save those bananas for that time.

Thanks for any ideas.

Replies

• jpeterburs88
    jpeterburs88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I freeze my ripe bananas!! I keep them in the peel and stick them in a freezer bag so they don't get freezer burn... then I thaw them, mash them and add them to the recipe! :)
  • annie_p
    annie_p Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Just pop em in the freezer as is. I have no idea how long they last in the freezer, I've watched my mom pull some out and say they've been in there a LONG time, and still make amazing banana bread. Then yes, take them out, let them thaw, mash them and your good to go.
  • techymum
    techymum Posts: 168
    Options
    I freeze bananas ALL the time! I literally just toss them in the freezer, in their skins - which I believe saves the insides from freezer burn.

A neighbor once told me she only uses thawed bananas to make banana bread.

I also now use one in my power smoothie in the morning.

But be aware - they are really slimey when they thaw! But just mash away and they are perfect.

My uses: Frozen in smoothie (just peel and toss in), and thawed: Peel, thaw in bowl, and mash to use in cooking.

Good luck - you will never throw out another overripe banana again!

Jayme
  • 3cmomma
    3cmomma Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have froze them both in and out of the peel. If you freeze in the peel, I let them thaw on the counter for awhile before using them in a recipe. For shakes and smoothies, I peel them, cut them in half and put in a freezer bag. That way when I want to add them to a shake, I just pull one out of the freezer and drop it in.....makes my shakes super creamy and cold. YUM :)
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    We used to be able to get frozen bananas at the local Dairy Bar dipped in butterscotch like a dilly bar. It was my favorite summer treat EVER!
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks!
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    This is a running joke in my home... We put banana's in the freezer all time. The problem is that we usually forget about them and then when we clean out the freezer a year later we end up with like 5-6 frozen bananas stashed in there.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    i like to freeze mine out of the skin, sliced - that way i can throw them in my blender still frozen and make smoothies :)
  • gargoyle999
    gargoyle999 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My wife does this all the time. So many that it makes me roll my eyes sometimes. She takes them out of the peel.