Opinion from all of the runners out there

Options
2»

Replies

• bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and have them fit you for a running shoe. Every runner is going to have different needs based on their stride, the width of their foot, the way they land, etc..... What is a great shoe for one person is going to be an awful shoe for the next person.

This....statement above.

But I am now wearing Vibram/New Balance Minimus.
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Check out what the running stores have. I dont understand how people say that "they arent any better than $20 Target shoes" because they are usually very good quality and last their due time. Ive found Asics Gel to be good in weight, comfort, and support. But, whatever feels good for your running stride..

To be fair, I had only been running in my cheap Target shoes for about 3-4 months, so I'm not sure how they'll hold up over time. I just meant that, as far as overall comfort, I hadn't really noticed a difference between those and the Asics.
  • sdaltonking
    Options
    I was an avid New Balance girl until I found Vibrams (www.vibramfivefingers.com); they're the barefoot shoe and I would NEVER EVER go back to a "regular" running sneaker. You have to do what is best for your, but for me, I compare it to a thong; once you wear a thong, you'll never got back to granny panties :)
    Good luck!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of Mizuno running shoes, especially their Wave Creation series. I have my eyes on their new Prophecy, but I haven't been able to justify the $200 price tag over the $120 for the Creation. You might want to consider a few factors when you're buying shoes, though, besides just getting them sized for fit at a store.

You'll want to consider the pronation of your foot. That is, what part of the foot you land on and follow through with on your stride. You can tell that by looking at the bottom of your old running shoes, and seeing where the tread is worn down. Mine are worn on the outside heel, so I need more stiff ankle support, and heel cushioning, because that's where it naturally falls and needs the most impact absorption. If you go to a store, bring your old shoes with you as a visual reference for how your feet land.

You'll also not want to wear those shoes for anything else but running. It will give them a longer life, and maintain the integrity of the cushioning, since it's designed for wear when running.

Runner's World has some decent shoe reviews, based on the type of shoe you'll need specifically. Their spring guide is here: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-400--13825-1-1X2X3X4-4,00.html

But yeah, I love, love, love my Mizunos. I've used the Wave Creation series for about five years now, and think they're fantastic.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Get fitted for a running shoe! Nobody here can tell you what will be best for YOU.

I made the mistake of not getting fitted for running shoes when I was ready to move from 5Ks to a 10K. After running my 10K I lost one big toenail and half of three other toenails! Why? Because I didn't have the right running shoes or the proper socks.

The most important thing to do is get assessed for what kind of shoe you need. Go to a real running store (not a Sports Authority or ****'s Sporting Goods or similar place) and have the person look at how you walk and measure you. Tell them about any aches and pains you have, any previous injuries, how often you currently run, and what your goals are.

Also, be sure to AVOID cotton socks! The runner's rule is "cotton is rotten" for a reason: cotton holds onto moisture and heat... moisture + heat + friction (from running) = blisters! The running store you go to will have these socks for sure. They will be pricey but I purchased 3 pairs over 4 months ago and haven't needed to by more yet!

Once you know what running shoe and socks work for you, you can just find them online for cheaper than your running store. For me, I spent $120 on my Brooks Ghost 3 shoes when I got fitted... since then I've gotten them on Amazon for no more than $80... but the point is that I got fitted for them and know they're the best for me.

You know, I think I just suck at following running rules, because I run in cotton socks on every run, even on my long ones over 10 miles, and I've never had blisters, lost toenails, or anything like that. I completed my first half-marathon in regular cotton socks, and I wouldn't have known, because my feet felt great. Maybe my feet are just made of iron or something, haha.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of Mizuno running shoes, especially their Wave Creation series. I have my eyes on their new Prophecy, but I haven't been able to justify the $200 price tag over the $120 for the Creation. You might want to consider a few factors when you're buying shoes, though, besides just getting them sized for fit at a store.

You'll want to consider the pronation of your foot. That is, what part of the foot you land on and follow through with on your stride. You can tell that by looking at the bottom of your old running shoes, and seeing where the tread is worn down. Mine are worn on the outside heel, so I need more stiff ankle support, and heel cushioning, because that's where it naturally falls and needs the most impact absorption. If you go to a store, bring your old shoes with you as a visual reference for how your feet land.

You'll also not want to wear those shoes for anything else but running. It will give them a longer life, and maintain the integrity of the cushioning, since it's designed for wear when running.

Runner's World has some decent shoe reviews, based on the type of shoe you'll need specifically. Their spring guide is here: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-400--13825-1-1X2X3X4-4,00.html

But yeah, I love, love, love my Mizunos. I've used the Wave Creation series for about five years now, and think they're fantastic.

At a running store, they will normally watch you run and look to see if you pronate, supinate or are neutral. They will also know which shoe is good for what style of runner you are, and what goals you have and where you run.
  • MissJecka
    MissJecka Posts: 5
    Options
    You know, I think I just suck at following running rules, because I run in cotton socks on every run, even on my long ones over 10 miles, and I've never had blisters, lost toenails, or anything like that. I completed my first half-marathon in regular cotton socks, and I wouldn't have known, because my feet felt great. Maybe my feet are just made of iron or something, haha.

Well, you may just have feet that are very conducive to running! Not many people do. I used to think that getting blisters was just something that happens to every runner, so I never thought twice when I'd get four or five blisters when playing soccer with friends or after a 5K race. Since getting polyester running socks I haven't had a single blister!

Regarding my lost toenails and such, I am more prone to them, so I found out from my podiatrist after my 10K mishap. I'm hammer-toed which means the tips of my toes (at the edge of my toenail) touches the ground rather than the padding under the toe. That means my toe nails can get jammed, cracked, etc. a lot easier than those who are not hammer-toed. One of my running coaches says any half- or full marathon she runs she will lose at least one toenail; however, a close friend of mine is an ultra-marathoner (running at least two marathons a year and at least one ultra-marathon a year) and he's never ever lost a single toenail in his 20 years of running.

So, yeah, you could very well be in the group of people I'll forever be jealous of! But, it's always wise to take precautionary measures when running races. If I had known to get fitted for running shoes BEFORE losing toenails, I wouldn't have lost them in the first place! It's like wearing a seatbelt... you don't wait until AFTER you get in an accident to do so! ;)