Early Morning Workouts....

Options
13»

Replies

• skbruewer
    skbruewer Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5 to do my workout. Trust me, I really don't want to get up that early. I keep my shorts by the bed, and wear my sports bra to bed to I'm already halfway ready. Once I get started it's not so bad. I try to remind myself that once it's done, it's done and I don't have to worry about the workout until tomorrow!
  • bogle34
    bogle34 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    U just do, make it a habit, before you know it, no regrets - you will like it - some days are harder than others, but it's ok as long as you get moooving !!
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5 am and go to the gym. It has been the single biggest contributor to my weight loss. It is hard, but if you commit you can do it. put your clothes out the night before and set that alarm. promise yourself you are going to get up and then... DO IT! You will need to go to bed earlier, but it is so worth getting that workout out of the way. I eat better when I do and I am even more likely to workout in the evening too. (bonus workout!)
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Get a dog to exercise with you and you will be set! Two of my dogs trail run with me every other day early in the morning. They love it so much that they have become my alarm clocks, sitting by the bed whining. One gets so excited that she starts trembling and I know that I must get up immediately to let her out for a bathroom break. My body likes consistency so now I can't sleep past 5:00 on any day so I get my bike rides and strength training in early on the alternate days. At this point I love being a morning person. The only downside is that I go to bed before some of my MFP friends exercise and/or close their day so I'm a day late commenting.
  • h3h8m3
    h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I just want to add.... getting 8 hours of sleep is essential to good health, and even weight loss. Tons of studies have shown that chronic poor sleep habits are indicators for all kinds of icky things, including obesity.

Make sure you're getting 8 hours of sleep a night. With a 4:30am wakeup that would mean a brutally early 8:30 bedtime. That'd be awfully tough for me.

I work out twice a day, first thing in the morning and after I put my kids to bed at night. My wake up this morning was 6:45am, and I went to bed at about 10:15pm.

I believe strongly in getting a workout in in the morning, as it sets your day off in such a great way. But PLEASE don't do it at the expense of getting the right amount of sleep. It's just as important to your overall health. You need to find a way to fit both the exercise and the sleep into your schedule.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help - I did it for 3 months last year, fell off the wagon and now have no idea how I did it. I loved having my workouts done when I went to work, but I just haven't been able to get back in the habit.
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person at all, but for the past 8 weeks I've been getting up at 5:30 and going to the gym for 90 minutes before work. Two days out of the week I meet with a personal trainer. This has helped me so much because I'm more likely to be up and on time if I know I have to meet someone. He also holds me accountable if he notices I'm not coming in during other days of the week too.

The thing is I had to get myself in the mind frame to make this kind of change. Get yourself excited about it and you will find that the first week will be really easy. Pull your workout clothes out the night before, make sure you have a quick snack to eat before you go ( a banana or other fruit), and when the alarm goes off just make yourself get up right away. If it's something you're determined to do, nothing can stop you!

Good luck!
  • candirw
    candirw Posts: 22
    Options
    I am new to the getting-up-early-to-workout game. I am not good at it because I usually wake up late. With that being said, I pack my lunch the night before along with my bag, although I have not yet once remembered everything! (I have to shower there and come straight to work) I have all my workout clothes ready so I can get dressed immediately.

It's a just do it mentality. I am not a morning person. But I do love getting a workout in early because if I don't get to workout in the evening, then I'm still good for the day. And evening workouts are just more calories burned! I love that part.

I figure by the time I get used to waking up and getting my groove thang on, school will be back in session, and I won't be able to do it anymore becaue I'll have to get the little one ready for school instead. Alas, I'll continue to try until then.

Good luck!
  • ATXJudie
    ATXJudie Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am really not a morning person, and the only reason I get morning work outs in on MWF is that I do a group bootcamp. My trainer definitely notices when I miss (it is a small group) and will occasionally call me out on Facebook!

I love getting those work outs in, and originally tried to get up on my own on Tues/Thurs and quickly learned that without the class incentive I seriously cannot do it. SO I go to the gym straight after work on Tues/Thurs.

I really think the class is the only thing that makes me do it MWF. Some people just aren't morning people!!!