Got any Tilapia ideas for dinner tonight?

Options
westbrja
westbrja Posts: 111 Member
I bought some frozen tilapia the other day at the store for the first time. Problem is, is that I don't know what to do with it or how to cook it. Any recipes or ideas?

Replies

• yalmira82
    yalmira82 Posts: 37
    Options
    DO YOU HAVE A GRILL
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Easy Peasy..... Make a foil pouch add a little lemon pepper, lemon juice and little sliver of butter on top of each fillet. Seal edges of pouch, can do in oven or grill. Cook til flakes with a fork at 400 if using oven. Delish.....
  • aunt_hbomb
    aunt_hbomb Posts: 204
    Options
    marinate it in lemon juice, EVOO, little garlic, parsley, salt & pepper for 15-30 minutes then broil or grill
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Thaw it out in the sink, rinse with water.

Sprinkle some lemmon herb spices on it, broil for 10-15 minutes (check it, fish cooks very fast).

Talapia is a mild flavored fish, some people like it with tartar sauce, I like it with Thousand Island dressing. Simple.

Another OLD favorite is to get a cedar fence plank from Home Depot, and cut it into 8 inch lengths. Or, you can buy cedar planks from your local BBQ supply store. The Home Depot will set you back ~$2 for a dozen planks, or you can buy them for ~$2 each.

Place the plank on the grill, and cook it on top of the plank. The plank will get burned and turn black on the bottom, giving your fish a true 'smoked' flavor. This is a common way to cook salmon, but it works well with just about any fish.
  • areittinger
    areittinger Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You could Steam it in some tin foil on the grill. and then Buy some Flat out bread and cut it in half, and put the fish in the "tortilla" with lettuce, and what ever else you like and have Fish tacos!
  • paubanda
    paubanda Posts: 34
    Options
    Easy Peasy..... Make a foil pouch add a little lemon pepper, lemon juice and little sliver of butter on top of each fillet. Seal edges of pouch, can do in oven or grill. Cook til flakes with a fork at 400 if using oven. Delish.....

yummy
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Non - Breaded?

Thaw them
    Salt and pepper
    Hot stove top pan
    Pan sear each side about 3 to 6 minutes each side

Make a tatar sauce out of:
    Low fat mircale whip(two TBS) and sweet pickle(1 TBS) relish

I don't use lemon on Tiliapia because it very light

Steam some veggies (carrots, zuchs, squash, onions)
    Heat up some canned black beans

Your all set
  • madforplaid
    madforplaid Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    ditto what Steph said, but I do it without the butter (just Pam to keep from sticking) as the fish is moist enough in the packet. You can also do the packet with fresh dill on top, or a bay leaf (and throw it out after) and some minced garlic.

If you do it on a grill, use a medium heat setting and a 6 oz fillet will be done in about 15 minutes.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Parmesan crusted is great too..

1-½ pound Tilapia Fillets, Or Other White Fish Like Cod Or Trout
    3 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
    2 Tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
    1 teaspoon Grated Lemon Zest
    ½ teaspoons Kitchen Salt
    ½ teaspoons Lemon Pepper
    1 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
    ½ cups Parmesan Cheese, Grated
    ¼ cups Butter, Softened

Preparation Instructions

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Line a large baking pan with foil; spray with cooking spray. Place all fish fillets on the pan and pat dry with a clean paper towel.

In a small bowl, stir mayonnaise, lemon juice, lemon zest, kitchen salt and lemon pepper until blended. Spread over top of each fillet. In another small bowl, mix bread crumbs, parmesan cheese and softened butter together until well blended. Spread evenly over the mayonnaise mixture on each fillet; pat crumb mixture lightly into the mayonnaise.

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until fish flakes easily with fork and top is golden brown.
  • nkrueger1
    nkrueger1 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    made some fish tacos the other day w/ tilapia very yummy and easy...

season your fish and just pan sear till done I used Pam...heat up a couple of corn tortillas fill w/ the fish and top w/ some home made cole slaw...very filling and satisfing...:tongue:
  • SoFancySoBlessed
    SoFancySoBlessed Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    i put my talapia in a baking dish with whole canned tomatoes (add the juice too), onions, garlic and a small pat of butter....cover with foil and let it cook for about 25 minutes..i usually eat it with brown rice and roasted asparagus.......the aroma is heavenly and it tastes AWESOME!!! :tongue:
  • amerr
    amerr Posts: 190
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/broiled-tilapia-parmesan/detail.aspx

I used a lower fat/cal mayo and a lower fat/cal butter. I absolutely loved this one!
  • cccathyyy
    cccathyyy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    You could Steam it in some tin foil on the grill. and then Buy some Flat out bread and cut it in half, and put the fish in the "tortilla" with lettuce, and what ever else you like and have Fish tacos!

I was just going to say that. :)
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I'm having tilapia for dinner tonight too. :) I'm going to cook it in a skillet on the stove-top with a sort of teriyaki sauce. For the sauce I mix some light (lower sodium) soy sauce, lime juice, mirin (you could use a teaspoon of brown sugar and a teaspoon of wine or vinegar if you can't find mirin in your area), a few drops of toasted sesame oil, a minced clove of garlic, and a bit of grated ginger root. When the fish is done cooking I sprinkle sesame seeds and freshly chopped green onions over it. You could also use the same sauce in a foil pouch and cook it in the oven at 400 (usually takes less than 20 minutes).
  • maup1706
    maup1706 Posts: 2
    Options
    I like to take the talapia and cook it under the broiler with some lemon pepper until it gets flaky. While it is cooking I put a skilled on the stove and cook some onions, roasted tomatoes, and capers with a little bit of water until it gets thick. Finally I top the fish with the tomato mixture. One filet with a quarter cup of the mixture has about 160 calories.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I bought some from Costco recently and made fish tacos from them. I marinated the fish in lime juice, garlic powder and olive oil for about 10 minutes before grilling the fish in a grilling pan on the stove (it has raised bars across the bottom so it cooks like a grill). Corn tortillas, cabbage and a white sauce made from sour cream and lime juice complete the tacos.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Dice up a large tomato and some fresh basil leaves, black pepper, fresh dill, and a pinch of rosemary. Throw that into a large pan with 1 clove diced garlic. Cook on med-high for 2-3 mins until you can really smell it. Throw in the tilapia and cover. Cook on med-low until done (fish should be flakey).

This is a really great easy and very lean way to add flavor to an otherwise fairly dull food.
  • AngieMMc
    AngieMMc Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I use a little EVOO, garlic salt, fresh lemon juice, and dill (both sides) and cook it on the grill. I usually eat mine with fresh grilled veggies or a salad. YUM!

I really like the fish taco idea so I am going to try that tomorrow!!!
  • Mnonan
    Mnonan Posts: 38
    Options
    i just had tilapia for dinner. i used a little extra virgin olive oil. lemon juice, garlic powder, black pepper, and minced garlic and baked it. my side was cooked spinach with minced garlic lemon and red onion. it was yummy and low calories.
  • westbrja
    westbrja Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the gret ideas. We ended up putting it on the grill with some seasonings including lemon pepper. Apart from OH overcooking it a bit, it was delicious. I like the mildness of the fish. I can't wait to try some of these other recipes. The fish tacos sound delicious.