Cottage Cheese

Options
I know this is a really good source of protein but I don't like the texture or taste how can I make this a more likable snack?

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    You can try different types--different levels of fat, small curd or large curd, no-salt added, etc. If you get the no-salt added, it had almost no taste, actually.

You can add almost anything to cottage cheese to give it more flavor. I usually stir in a tiny dab of pesto to jazz up my cottage cheese. A dab of low-sugar jam is another nice way to have it.

You can also use it in smoothies to add protein and thickness--it's virtually unrecognizable then.
  • tananichelle
    tananichelle Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I love cutting up fresh cucumbers and sweet onions, and then mixing it in with a little dried dill and cottage cheese... Mmmm...
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I add fruit and Stevia.
  • olag00
    olag00 Posts: 222
    Options
    You can also add blackberries or other fruit to it. This way you have the texture of the fruit in with it and masks the cottage cheese texture.
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I could always use more suggestions for this...
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    The really big question is, is there such a thing as low/reduced sodium version?
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I like mixing in a quarter cup of Kashi Go Lean cereal.
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    My hubby blends cottage cheese and yogurt in a blender or food processor until all the curds are broke down. Sadly, I usually just try to swallow without chewing, lol!!!!
  • princesspurple
    Options
    i am eating it right now w/ mango
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    The really big question is, is there such a thing as low/reduced sodium version?

YES! I want to know this too! Cottage cheese is great for protein if you don't eat meat (like me) but it's wayyyyy too high in sodium, especially for people with high blood pressure (like me again).

(typo...sorry)
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options

Yes! Lucerne, the dairy brand of Vons/Safeway (I think) has a low sodium version!
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I add either cantaloupe, pineapple or cinnamon to mine. Sometimes I eat it by itself, but that took awhile before I started that
  • lulu1962
    lulu1962 Posts: 210
    Options
    Personally, if I don't like the texture or taste of something, I won't eat it at all! There are soooo many other sources of protein that actually taste good, that you shouldn't have to "force" yourself to eat cottage cheese. Just my thoughts...:flowerforyou:
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

Yes. I only buy the no-salt added and it's the store brand!

But all dairy products have some sodium in them, so you'll never find one that is sodium-free.
  • sallen67
    sallen67 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I like it with fruit added or added to a protein shake.

I also like to take some of it and mix it with an egg scramble it up and cook it.
  • Bartlett8
    Bartlett8 Posts: 1
    Options
    They sell them in cups with different fruit in them it's pretty good :)
  • LoveTexas
    LoveTexas Posts: 44
    Options
    I will tell you right now (as a cottage cheese LOVER) that manderine oranges or peaches from the can are THE BEST with it. I eat it every single day.
    Its my favorite :)
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I love it with fruit! Pineapple, pears, peaches, nectarines, berries... YUM!
  • RyeLite
    RyeLite Posts: 17
    Options
    Cottage Cheese is a great Before Bed Snack. It contains Casien Protien, which is a Slow digesting Protien that feeds you thoughtout the night. If you cant stand the taste Dont Eat it. Personlly i cant stand the Fat Free stuff, so i get the Fatty Cottage Cheese when i do eat it. But, Im lazy so ususally ill just have a Scoop a Casien Powder Creamy Vanilla....It tastes great and i dont have to rememebr to keep buying more cottage cheese...
  • aLatz13
    aLatz13 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i used to hate cottage cheese too, but then one of my co-workers suggested the Fiber One brand (who knew they added fiber to cheese!) It seriously tastes different than regular cottage cheese in a good way. Texture wise, it has more and larger chunks so it tastes more like you're eating cheese and not some weird cheese-ish mixture. it's also higher in protein and lower calorie than most other cottage cheeses (not sure about sodium though). I usually add strawberries to mine and it is AWESOME. i eat it almost every day now