Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Meniscus Repair: How do I walk again?

I haven't been allowed to walk "normally" for three weeks. Today in a small attempt to walk like a human being I just can't. I am so stiff and I know it is because I haven't walked normally for three week. Any advice? Tips? Tricks? My leg is so SO SO tight from all this non-weight bearing, keeping it straight. I don't see my PT till tomorrow and I am so anxious to walk around again, I just want to walk!
SOS!

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,312 Member
    I remember that. I was all excited to be able to walk, and then couldn't. The issues are twofold. First, you leg muscles are stiff so it needs to be stretched through its range of motion. Remember it is not just you thigh, but you calf muscles as well. Take is slow and easy. Second, you leg muscles are weak. It will take a while for that to correct itself. A long while actually. I would suggest if you can sit on the edge of something so your lower leg dangles, assuming you can bend it, with no added weight extend it out and then back for several repetitions. Rest it, and repeat a few times. Then lying on the floor, curl you leg up and return it down. This is really an attempt to get some mobility and maybe strengthen it a bit. Until you see your PT, if it hurts don't do it. There will be things that hurt when you do them as directed by your PT, but that will be something they will tell you. Just a disclaimer, I am not a PT, personal trainer, or anything else, and am just trying to remember what I did 13 years back. I could be remembering wrong, but if you don't do what hurts, I don't think you will hurt anything especially if you don't add any weight.

Edit:
    I just saw the doctor at the Sport's injury clinic Monday, and have a follow-up scheduled in a week and a half so they can look at the x-rays they took when I was there. He concurred that I have injured my meniscus, but did not expect they could repair it again and was concerned I might have some arthritis in the joint. I don't think I have any arthritis as other than this my knee doesn't bother me, but who knows. I am looking forward to seeing what they can do.
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    *bump* I am sure I will be needing this as well when I can finally "walk"
  • THANKS for the tips...sitting with my leg dangled now. I feel like an idiot trying to walk!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    I used to take hot baths. At the time I had access to a pool also. I could go to the deep end with a belt and let my leg hang and try to relax itself.

Good Luck.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    Slowly! And gently.
    Don't do anything that causes pain or discomfort till you see your PT and get advice that is tailored for you. You can make it for one more day!
    And don't panic, once you have healed up you will be able to look back and wonder why it seemed so hard.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    really like everyone's advice (especially rileysowner). Make sure to take it slow and don't overdo it. I asked my PT what "moves" I could do at home to help increase flexibility/reduce stiffness. Start with the "dangle" (that just sounds wrong) off the chair and then slowly work up to lightly rocking your leg back and forth. Eventually you'll get some flexion in the area, and that helps. After that it is baby steps (literally) because you don't want to put too much weight on it right away. From there you'll be walking in no time.

Slow and steady will get you there - stay optimistic and never be afraid to ask your PT what more you can do. Good luck
  • Thanks everyone! Heel toe heel toe is all I am saying as I walk!
    It was so hard to walk a room and it made me sad that 6 weeks ago I ran 13.1 miles.

SO can't wait to lace up!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,312 Member
    Be diligent with what the PT gives you and you will be walking and running before you know it.