Correct nutritional information in recipes

Options
torregro
torregro Posts: 307
I am so frustrated with recipes that I find online for healthy foods. So many times I get all excited about trying a new recipe, I go out and buy new ingredients that I may or may not like to try something different, and then when I get everything home and get the recipe made, I plug in the ingredients only to find that the "low fat, high protein" bar isn't quite as low calorie as advertised. Or that the chicken dinner that is supposed to serve 4 really only serves 3 if you use their nutritional information.

Just today I baked some VERY tasty Cinnamon Swirl Protein Bread from another site and while the bread is quite delicious, each 1/16 of a pan has at least 79 calories instead of the 55 calories listed.....with 6-7 additional carbs per bar. Now, while that's not outrageous, it's still quite inaccurate. These particular bars call for the use of "Ideal" which is a Xylitol "no-calorie" sweetener, but products like this can be advertised as "no-calorie" as long as they have less than 5 calories per serving. Well.........a serving is only 1 teaspoon, but there is almost a cup of the stuff in this recipe and it adds up. It's not just this recipe, it seems to happen over and over.....even using all brand name nationally known ingredients. I took MY nutritional information directly from the individual packages.
I'm FRUSTRATED!!

Replies

• MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I wonder about that too! I'm like, what do some of the calories bake out? cause the numbers do not match up at all. hmm
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I always use the MFP recipe creator to calculate the nutritional values. And it always seems that the online recipes that have that calculated for you are somewhat inaccurate.
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    Sadly, the MFP calculator is almost ALWAYS higher! LOL
    But..........better to know than to start chomping on an extra brownie that is supposed to be low cal, I guess.