Help! What do I do with corn tortillas

Options
I asked my roommate to pick up tortillas when she went to the store -- thinking that she'd buy flour ones like we always have around the house and she came home with corn tortillas. Any ideas on what we can use them for?

Replies

• pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    - soft tacos
    - cut them up and bake to make baked corn tortilla chips
    - make a grilled chicken, black bean and salsa wrap with a touch of shredded cheese
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    Yea, eat them on your cheat day!
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Same thing you'd use flour ones for?
  • FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    Options
    Enchiladas!
  • farfalledibaciodinotte
    farfalledibaciodinotte Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    umm... throw some olive oil in a skillet and crisp them up.. tortilla chips!
  • trdy77
    trdy77 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    chicken tortilla soup
    they don't fall apart or get gross and soggy like the flour ones
  • FatUncleRob
    Options
    Yea, eat them on your cheat day!

Not sure I understand.

Why on a cheat day??

They're probably healthier than the flour tortillas.
  • shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Make Tacos! Warm them up, add any/all of the following and enjoy!
    -) lettuce
    -) black beans (canned),
    -) chicken (or meat of of your choice)
    -) avacado
    -) salsa

We call them Terrific Tacos in our house and have them atleast once a week.
  • sagisun1969
    Options
    Go back to the store and exchange them for Mission Whole Grain tortillas :)
  • OnionCookie
    OnionCookie Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Treat them like flour ones. Except remember to heat them and eat while hot. They are disgusting after they cool down and when eaten cold.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    warm them and eat them like bread.
  • FatUncleRob
    Options
    If you don't like 'em cold. Try putting a few of them in a pyrex container (with a lid) with a dampened sheet of kitchen towel.
    Microwave for 30 - 60 seconds and they'll be hot and steamy - like the ones you get in a Mexican restaurant (almost). :smile:
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I grew up on breakfast tacos in San Antonio, TX and any time someone went on a "diet" they would switch out the flour tortillas for corn. Heh. I always figured they were healthier because of this.
  • bigredhearts
    bigredhearts Posts: 428
    Options
    steamed corn tortillas are great for you! little fat and little sodium! and way more filling then the flour kind, they are amazing! you can use them for anything that you would use a flour tortilla for!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    umm... throw some olive oil in a skillet and crisp them up.. tortilla chips!

After crisping, eggs (any way you like them), green chili and cheese. You can also add meat and/or beans. Huevos Rancheros.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Fajitas. A taco lasanga bake would be great. Just layer your favorite stuff, tortilla, then cooked meat, cheese, tortilla and repeat or add other stuf, top with 3-cheese, bake at 350 for about 20-30 min. should be done!
  • errantfirefly
    Options
    cut them up, skillet them a bit, add some scrambled eggs, onions and peppers = migas!

chalupas

nachos

flautas

quesadillas

tacos
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Throw them away. They are nothing but starch. :devil:

Sorry. I couldn't resist. I have found that starches are my arch-enemy for weight loss. I have cut them out completely.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    They are better than the flour ones. Bake them in the oven for a couple min. on 400 just until the firm up a little, 5 min. Then use them just like flour tortillas. You can form them over a bowl and leave them in until they get hard then have taco salad in a hard taco shell.
  • FatUncleRob
    Options
    steamed corn tortillas are great for you! little fat and little sodium! and way more filling then the flour kind, they are amazing! you can use them for anything that you would use a flour tortilla for!

I just checked the tortillas in my kitchen. (I eat corn, the rest of my family prefers flour).

The corn tortillas have less calories, less saturated fat (in fact, none), less sodium and much more fiber.

Seems like a no-brainer to me! :smile: