Chicken and Dumplings

Options
NurseBarb
NurseBarb Posts: 183 Member
I'm a southern girl and have had to substitute and find way to eat the things I'm used to without all the fat and calories. So here's a recipe for some guilt free chicken & dumplings.

1 pkg chicken tenders
2 boxes of swanson's fat free chicken broth
1 pkg (4 cans) of pilsbury's country biscuits (the ones in the red cans at walmart)
1/3 cup cornstarch
Salt and pepper to taste

If you are a very experienced cook and can do things with both hands then great you can make the chicken and the dumplings at the same time. If not just chill and make the dumplings first and then cook the chicken because the dumplings stay hot forever!

Bring your broth to a rolling boil in a deent size pot (like a dutch oven). While it's coming to a boil pinch your bisquits into 1/4's. When your broth is boiling bunch the bisquit 1/4s up and put them in it. DOn't worry about them sticking together they will seperate in the broth. The trick is that you need to start pushing the dumplings down and stirring them the whole time they are cooking. Also, start lowring the temperature gradually until you get down to a medium heat over a matter of about 5 minutes.
You will know the dumplings are ready when they start sinking to the bottom. At this point take your cornstarch and out it in a coffee cup or something and add some cold water to disolve it. Pour your mixture into your dumplings ansd stir a few tablespoons at a time until you think it's thick enough. Wait 1 minute in between each time you add some cornstarch and stir constantly. When it's thick like gravy, take the whole thing off the heat and let it set until you cook your chicken.

To cook the tenders just salt and pepper and cook in a skillet with some spray non-stick oil.

4 oz. of chicken tenders is 100 calories.
3 bisquits or 12 dumplings (since they are 1/4's) is 150 calories.

I usually have 24 dumplings making the meal 400 calories for me. UNLESS I've had a good amount of exercise and then I may have more. But 24 usually fills me up pretty good.

FYI- these are chewy dumplings. If you like the fluffy dumplings you might try the bisquits in the blue can or make some from bisquik, I can't remember. We love the chewy ones so much I stopped making fluffy ones.

Enjoy.

Replies

• NurseBarb
    NurseBarb Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'm a southern girl and have had to substitute and find way to eat the things I'm used to without all the fat and calories. So here's a recipe for some guilt free chicken & dumplings.

1 pkg chicken tenders
    2 boxes of swanson's fat free chicken broth
    1 pkg (4 cans) of pilsbury's country biscuits (the ones in the red cans at walmart)
    1/3 cup cornstarch
    Salt and pepper to taste

If you are a very experienced cook and can do things with both hands then great you can make the chicken and the dumplings at the same time. If not just chill and make the dumplings first and then cook the chicken because the dumplings stay hot forever!

Bring your broth to a rolling boil in a deent size pot (like a dutch oven). While it's coming to a boil pinch your bisquits into 1/4's. When your broth is boiling bunch the bisquit 1/4s up and put them in it. DOn't worry about them sticking together they will seperate in the broth. The trick is that you need to start pushing the dumplings down and stirring them the whole time they are cooking. Also, start lowring the temperature gradually until you get down to a medium heat over a matter of about 5 minutes.
    You will know the dumplings are ready when they start sinking to the bottom. At this point take your cornstarch and out it in a coffee cup or something and add some cold water to disolve it. Pour your mixture into your dumplings ansd stir a few tablespoons at a time until you think it's thick enough. Wait 1 minute in between each time you add some cornstarch and stir constantly. When it's thick like gravy, take the whole thing off the heat and let it set until you cook your chicken.

To cook the tenders just salt and pepper and cook in a skillet with some spray non-stick oil.

4 oz. of chicken tenders is 100 calories.
    3 bisquits or 12 dumplings (since they are 1/4's) is 150 calories.

I usually have 24 dumplings making the meal 400 calories for me. UNLESS I've had a good amount of exercise and then I may have more. But 24 usually fills me up pretty good.

FYI- these are chewy dumplings. If you like the fluffy dumplings you might try the bisquits in the blue can or make some from bisquik, I can't remember. We love the chewy ones so much I stopped making fluffy ones.

Enjoy.
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Sounds good. Thanks for sharing.
  • Janie0001
    Janie0001 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    this sounds so good. I have not had chicken and dumplings in awhile. Thanks