Setting Goals

Options
I'm looking for some feedback on how to set a short term goal. I have a lot of weight to lose (175lbs.) and joined the MFP THE BIGGEST LOSER 2011 competition for some help with motivation getting a strong start.

My problem is this, I know the first couple of weeks will be a little faster with the loss and then slowing down, but I am trying to set a realistic goal for the 13 weeks.

Anyone have any thoughts on what a challenging but realistic goal might be?

Replies

• TiraG
    TiraG Posts: 68
    Options
    Hmmm...Idk...I'm thinking 50 - 60 maybe??
  • RunningAggie
    Options
    Sorry I can't help you much. I have the same issue. I want to set a goal that will challenge me, but that is also attainable with hard work and dedication. I lose weight VERY SLOWLY so it's hard to gauge how much I would lose. I try to focus my goals on other things than numbers on the scale (kinda hard to do while in a contest where you weigh in every week). I have goals like: I'm going to workout x times this week, or I'm going to get all my water this week, etc... I wish you luck with your goal setting and good luck in the BLC!
  • MissLoser2B
    MissLoser2B Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I like the idea of setting goal of getting the work done a lot. Good luck to you as well.:smile:
  • TiraG
    TiraG Posts: 68
    Options
    That's great advice Aggie! It is kinda tough to figure out. I know the "industry" states it's best to lose 10/month which is 2lbs/wk, but when you have larger amounts to lose the weight does come off a lot more. It's a learning experience for all of us. Let's just be each other's cheerleader's and set attainable goals. In the end, we're all gonna be thinner. It took years to put it on so it'll take a couple months to get it off. Good luck you two! :)

I really love this website!
  • suziekell
    suziekell Posts: 2
    Options
    I start with losing 10% as a first goal, so for me that's 18 pounds. You also have to remember to give yourself rewards for meeting your goals as an incentive. Like a new air of shoes or a massage. The I set a new goal, like another 10% or 15% and so on until i reach my goal. That's what I'm doing, so i hope it helps you..