When do I need to eat my exercise calories

Options
So I know how important it is to eat my exercise calories. My question is when should I eat them? For instance, I spin 3-4 times per week, but due to certain scheduling difficulties at the moment I can't work out every day. Since I don't work out every day can I spread out those exercise calories over several days? Can I save them up for a special night out during the week I acquired them? I've previously followed the theory that I can use them throughout the week as I desired but now I'm wondering if I should be eating say Monday's acquired exercise calories by Wednesday instead of Saturday.

Thoughts or advice?

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I don't really think there is any specific day that you need to eat them by. If you're hungry, then eat them.. if you're not hungry, then don't eat them.

I also don't really understand how you can "save" them to spread out. Once the day is over, you start fresh the next day with a whole new bunch of calories... unless you added up your exercise calories that you had left during the week/weekend and then went over on a certain night by that amount.. then I could see that working.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd only carry calories over for 2-3 days. That said if carrying them over for 5 days has worked for you then carry on but be aware that you do need more in the 24 hours after a big burn to help repair the muscles
  • brianna626
    brianna626 Posts: 156
    Options
    I start fresh everyday, no saving extra calories burned. If I am hungry I eat the calories burned that day, if not then I don't eat them.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Most would only recommend you eat them back if you under 1200 calories per day. As that is the min calories per day for a woman.

Otherwise it is not usually a problem. If you are not losing weigh then you might need to try eating half of the back just to make sure you are eating enough.

Just try different options and you will find the right mix for you!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Starting fresh everyday is fine but if you have say a 2000 calorie burn it would make sense to spread them out a little...I know that I tend to be hungrier the following day and not on the actual day of the calorie burn. I have a couple on my friends list that regularly get in 2500+ calorie burns...that would be pretty hard to eat in one day
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest with you on this one....years ago, I followed weight watchers and only ate what calories I had. Years later, they did a flex program, which I tried. It was the same deal; if you didn't eat all your calories, you got "points" to use on another night. Unfortunately, this did NOT do me any good....was better off just not eating them than saving them. It really depends on how your body is going to react. Obviously, don't expect to have 1000 calories stored to use over a few days. :-P that is kind of pushing it. I could see maybe saving about 200-500 or so. Again, depends on how your body would adjust to it. Just wouldn't make it a regular habit. Best of luck!
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I start fresh everyday, no saving extra calories burned. If I am hungry I eat the calories burned that day, if not then I don't eat them.

DITTO! :smile:
  • bmpal
    bmpal Posts: 36
    Options
    I too followed the WW flex program in my early and mid-20's with much success and saving those extra activity points for weekend fun. Now, I'm in my early 30's though and not sure if it will still work for me. I'm gonna try out a couple of things and see what works. Thanks for all the info and tips!
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the late reply! I just read your response. I'm turning 30 this year and when I did flex, I was early 20's...same deal. So, could be it's just the way our damn hormones are changing. Thus, why doing the same things I did years ago no longer work. Wonderful, right? :-)