Birthday Party Menu Ideas

Options
SharlaU
SharlaU Posts: 12 Member
I am having my 30th in a few weeks and wanting to serve up yummy and healthy food for it (I don't want to scare everyone with carrot and celery sticks though) Please can you give me ideas on what I can serve. I plan on serving nibbles to start, Main, then a dessert (was thinking of just doing a dessert platter

Replies

• mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    veggies and dip, hummus and tortilla chips or crackers, a nice dairy free brownie or cake, bread with balsamic vinegar and oil.

these are the foods I served at my last little get together and the above foods can be quite healthy and low cal if done right.
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    for your main dish you can do eggplant parm, or lasagne, with zucchini for the noodles. Both of them are pretty easy to lighten up.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Toss a pile of boneless chicken breasts in a crock pot with some buffalo sauce and cream cheese (neufchatel is a similar cheese that's naturally lower fat... I love it), and cook until the chicken falls apart. Either serve it as a dip, or make pinwheels with whole wheat tortillas.

If you look for a buffalo sauce that's lower sodium, it's fairly healthy, and incredibly tasty.

If you want to sneak some extra nutrients in there, toss cauliflower or broccoli in the crock pot. It'll disappear as it cooks. Granted, then a lot of the nutrients also get cooked out of it, but not all of it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Spinach and cheese stuffed shells are really yummy, too.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I recently went to a wedding of a girl who really into clean eating - her 2 year old son has never eaten chocolate (he doesn't even know what it is! he calls sultanas lollies!).

For appetisers we had veggie sticks with dip. Entree was a grilled prawn salad. Main was a chicken breast or piece of steak with sweet potato mash and steamed vegies/salads to share for the table. Dessert was a gluten free choc pudding or gluten free orange/poppyseed cake.

As far as a wedding goes, it was strange at first to not be eating the usual Aussie wedding foods. But let me tell you... it was pretty darn yummy! A welcome change from creamy sauces, cheesy pastas and fried stuff.

You CAN do it!
  • Jackie_Snape80
    Options
    Supreme veggie pizza w/o cheese! I'm a bit biased, though... Really, you can have pizza and make it healthy pretty easily.

Umm, whole wheat spaghetti with marinara and turkey meatballs. Less pasta and more sauce..maybe add tomatoes, mushrooms, olives and a side salad.(love side salads!)

Unfried fish(Tilapia is tastiest). dunk it in egg flour, then egg white, then wheat cracker/bread crumbs and bake for 20-30 min. Maybe serve up some green beans, asparagus, or carrots with it...

Casserole's are pretty versatile and can easliy be bulked up with veggies of your choosing. Stay away from cream/cheesey sauces or try to ease up on the sauce as much as possible. Les meat, dairy, and starchy carbs and more veggies and/or beans.

I'm kinda rambling on here, but yeah... It's up to you and your own tastes. Almost anything can be healthified(is that a word?) and still be yummy. I've had to do it many times being vegan and stuff lol
  • wlddove
    wlddove Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have a recipe for an Avocado Corn Salsa that everyone loves at my parties. Not sure of the calorie content, and it's probably "fatty" since it has avocado, olive oil, and olives in it, but at least it's "healthy" fats. I usually serve it with tortilla chips, but I bet it would taste good topped on mini rice cakes. Send me a message if you want the recipe. :o) Happy 30th! :o)