Keeping yourself motivated when you're on your own

I am a team sports person. I need someone shouting at me and giving me encouragement while working out, but because I only work part time I really can't afford a personal trainer or even a gym membership at the moment.

So I was wondering, how do you keep yourself motivated while working out at home? I have a treadmill and tend to stick the radio on and set mini goals like "keep going until the end of this song", "keep going until the news is over" but I just get so bored after half an hour or so.

I don't have access to an Xbox or Wii, so adding in Kinect or Wii Fit etc isn't an option for me. I'm not over fond of exercise DVDs either.

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    stick to this site, seeing everyone's weight loss, work out burns and food diaries is great motivation. Also invest in an ipod or MP3 player, they're cheap, and get some music you can rock out to. I personally enjoy watching tv while I'm on the elypticall. You can get books on audio too
  • timlord
    timlord Posts: 158
    mirrors and talk out loud/glad to assist in any way I can
    certified fitness teacher
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    I tell myself I can quit after 15 minutes if I want to. Once I get going I don't want to quit.

A mantra is always good, too. Like, harder, faster, stronger! Keeps you charged up.
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    I read a magazine while on a bike or elliptical and find that, with the display hidden, it feels less like hard work than I'm really doing. As I can't read on a treadmill, I structure a little program of increasing incline while decreasing speed and then reversing back the other way around the halfway point - gives me something to focus on as I'm watching the timer to be ready for the next change. The treadmills I'm currently using have a calorie goal setting so that motivates me to work hard and get to the calorie target as quickly as possible.
  • amyamadea
    amyamadea Posts: 17
    I only have the treadmill and it only has speed settings, no incline. That's probably why I get so bored on it!

I just don't find workouts on my own stimulating enough to want to keep up with them. When I get the chance to use the gym with my friends I find it much better as I have a competitive nature.