Replies

• billmac
    billmac Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    bump for ALL the recipes
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    If you have the calories for it & you really enjoy it, have a 1/2 c every nite. Top it with a bunch of fruit and you have a filling, fairly low cal treat... there's nothing wrong it.
  • megansprague
    Options
    Breyer's ice cream bars are so delicious (and 130 calories) !! I too love ice cream. And chocolate cake. I've been getting those SmartOnes Weight Watchers frozen desserts, double fudge cakes (150 calories, I think). They're so good with a spray of whipped cream. Do you like strawberries? Or pudding? Jello pudding doesn't suck too badly, haha.
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Gelato is a slightly lower-calorie/fat alternative to ice cream, and I find that it is actually tastier--less rich but more refreshing. Plus I know the gelato place in my town is super expensive so I always end up getting the smallest size :]
  • brittanyb00
    brittanyb00 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    These all sound great! Will definitely be using up those bananas I have. Hmmm, wish I had some ice cream now :)
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Whenever i just HAVE to have some ice cream, I measure it out and get a small spoon. Then I eat it sloooowly. No deprivation, just portion control. And be sure to add it to your food diary.
  • healthychelsea
    Options
    have you tried Skinny Cow products? They have delicious flavors and are pretty good in moderation. My favorite is their strawberry cheese cake pints! it is sooo delicious and creamy.
  • alex063287
    alex063287 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Just like you I am an ice cream addict! I save a ton for nightly ice cream. Instead of buying cartons of ice cream where I can eat so much more than I want to I buy low fat individual ice cream bars or sandwiches. This way it looks worse when you say oh yeah I ate two ice cream bars of the same kind tonight. This way I won't be tempted to get more from the carton.
  • pickenslmc
    pickenslmc Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I just eat real premium ice cream bars. Where I live there is a local company that makes ice cream, the bars have less ingredients, 190 calories, a little more fat than the fake stuff but taste way better to me.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Don't stress about it, if you really enjoy it have it!
    I haven't tried Skinny Cow, but when I checked them out they had a few too many ingredients for my liking.
    Personally I'd find a really good icecream that just has milk or cream, sugar and something yummy to flavour it and eat one serve of that. As long as you account for the calories and watch your sugar from your other meals then it's not going to do any harm.

PS. I don't know what country you are in, but if you ever see Weis's Mango Cream bar - buy that! They have real stuff like cream and sugar and mangos and are around 115 cals (I think, I haven't had one since summer!) and truly delicious.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Going to go against the flow here and say that the only way to get over an addiction is to quit it. It depends on how much you really want to live a healthy life and lose your weight. If you want it bad enough, you will stop eating the stuff that makes ya hold onto the weight.
    I understand the ice cream thing, I loved ice cream and ate it nightly as well and drank diet coke like there was no tomorrow. Gave them up cause they weren't doing me any favors in my health/weight. I know it can be done.

The choice is yours. My encouragement would be this. Only you can control what goes in your mouth. Keep putting the ice cream in there and you are gonna keep craving it.
  • phil412
    phil412 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Two words: Arctic Zero

I love this stuff! Arctic Zero is a faux ice cream made of whey protein powder. While it's not ever going to be as good as "real" ice cream, you can eat the WHOLE PINT for 150 calories. Yep, 150 calories for the pint, not per serving. They have a number of different flavors to choose from, and honestly, they're pretty good. I'm a serious ice cream lover too, and it definitely helps me when I have a craving. They also have a new ice cream bar that's only 85 calories. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm definitely going to!

http://www.myarcticzero.com/

It can be a bit tricky to find Arctic Zero in stores (I'm lucky enough to have a natural foods store close by that carries them), but they sell it on Amazon. You can also read reviews there to see if you think it's worth the steep cost to order online.

Good luck and hope this helps!
  • jamantha
    jamantha Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I love ice cream after dinner. I usually have either a Skinny Cow "ice cream n a stick thing" at about 90 cals, or a Sainsburys Spiral ice cream at about 50 cals. I find the kids' ice creams are good for portion control and a low cal treat. I also worried about it not being great nutrition on a regular basis, but as I mostly stick to the ~50 cal kids ice creams, I reckon that 50 cals out of my ~1500 daily intake is small enough not to worry about, espcially if it keeps me feeling satisfied.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Bumping gor the banana ice-cream idea and any more that come along!
  • yvonneabeyta
    Options
    I love ice cream also. I was upset got some mint chocolate chip and started to eat. Then I started to put it into my phone and found that it was almost as much as my lunch. Ugh.

The thing I found that helps me is capri sun frozen and then thawed just a little bit. some are only 60 calories and while there is sugar not quite as much as my ice cream.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Okay folks - you NEED to try this amazing recipe:

Take 1-2 bananas, peel them, slice into about 4-5 big chunks, put into a ziploc bag & freeze overnight. Then put the bananas into a blender with a little vanilla (or any flavoring), add about 1/2 cup milk (can do almond milk or soy milk, too) to begin with. If you like thicker ice cream, add less milk, thinner, add more.

It comes out creamy, the consistency of soft serve ice cream. There's no added sugar, 1/2 the calories. You can also add in other fruits w/ the bananas (my favorite is 4-5 strawberries).

My 5 year old asked to have that served at his birthday party. Not a single kid knew it wasn't ice cream. :)

Our blender couldn't cope with the big chunks. Trying small pieces tomorrow.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Blue Bunny fudge bars! 100 calories.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Two words: Arctic Zero

I love this stuff! Arctic Zero is a faux ice cream made of whey protein powder. While it's not ever going to be as good as "real" ice cream, you can eat the WHOLE PINT for 150 calories. Yep, 150 calories for the pint, not per serving. They have a number of different flavors to choose from, and honestly, they're pretty good. I'm a serious ice cream lover too, and it definitely helps me when I have a craving. They also have a new ice cream bar that's only 85 calories. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm definitely going to!

http://www.myarcticzero.com/

It can be a bit tricky to find Arctic Zero in stores (I'm lucky enough to have a natural foods store close by that carries them), but they sell it on Amazon. You can also read reviews there to see if you think it's worth the steep cost to order online.

Good luck and hope this helps!

I would drink a casein protein shake before bed but decided to do myself one better by making "ice cream."

I take Optimum Nutrition's Chocolate Peanut Butter Casein protein, coconut milk (can use almond milk) and a ton of ice and throw it into the blender. I blend until thick and eat. I also throw a square of 90% dark chocolate in the blender (personal preference) and top with unsweetened shredded coconut (sometimes slivered almonds). It's great and continues to feed me while I sleep.
  • Jenyfur1
    Jenyfur1 Posts: 361
    Options
    Bump the ice cream recipie
  • BonLou76
    BonLou76 Posts: 36
    Options
    I am so trying this tomorrow! (The banana thing) Thank you!